How to block mobile phone in ubuntu?

chiliincan

Reaction score
Credits
I already block the usb storage in endpoints, how ever plugging of mobile phone using usb cable were detected. Hope you to share the right solution. Thanks

welcome,
why are you plugging in a mobile phone?
When you connect a mobile phone, it will start charging and will be recognised as a mass storage device, and depending on your settings a modem,

@Brickwizard Mobile phones running android - when connected to a computer's USB port - are usually not recognized as a mass storage device but as a device using / presenting their files via MTP (media transfer protocol) device.

(edit: only early android phones presented themselves as mass storage on USB - this must have been about 2012 or earlier.)

@chiliincan
you might block MTP on USB - and it's predecessor PTP (picture transfer protocol) which might be used as some fallback method if MTP is not available.
you might also consider to disallow or limit network devices on USB: many mobile phones can provide internet access via USB tethering to a connected computer - just presenting themselves as an ethernet-via-usb device with some kind of router connected.

Last edited:
we have 2 android phones which and both are recognised as mass storage devices [but they are old ones]

@Brickwizard I forgot the ancient times when this was indeed the case. I hope you're happy that these devices are still usable.

edited my other post

I hope you're happy that these devices are still usable.
Yes they work perfectly, I use the camera to take pictures of my catches when I'm fishing, and I push buttons listen for an answer and say Hi it's me, and my wife pushes buttons on hers and also waits to say hi, she doesn't use the camera but does occasionally send text... we are not controlled by and do not live by our mobile phones, we have lives.

I already block the usb storage in endpoints, how ever plugging of mobile phone using usb cable were detected. Hope you to share the right solution. Thanks
I'm unsure of what you are plugging into where, but the way I deal with the issue of plugging the phone into the computer, is to configure the phone before plugging it in. For example, if using the phone as a hot spot, then there are configurations to set on the phone such as turning off wifi and turning on tethering. Then, when the phone is plugged into the computer by a usb cable, the phone opens a configuration to use that usb connection which the user can choose. The computer can then be configured to use what's plugged into it if it's not pre-configured to use it. In my experience it's the configurations in the phone that have to be set in the first place.

Last edited:
I just plug my Android phone in and can do whatever I like...what's all the fuss.
t1827.gif

My Android uses MTP to connect then also a mass storage device because I have an extra 32GB card in it and the extra 32GB card is what is seen as a mass storage device not the phone itself

Members online