How to best remove all EXIF metadata from pic's & Documents using the CLI

Credits
How to best remove all EXIF metadata from pic's & Documents using the CLI, i see lots online about it, loads of different ways but i was hoping that the CLI can strip everything with needing to download a third party tool from somewhere?
If downloading a tool is the only way then which tool does the best job which is OpenSource code hence trusted?

I did search on this platform for any related topics and couldn't find anything already.

JasKinasis

Credits
If memory serves, there is a tool in libimage called exiftool, install the package libimage-exiftool-perl, then you can remove exif data from a single file like this:
Bash:
exiftool -all= /path/to/image.jpg
Or you could use globbing:
Bash:
exiftool -all= *
That would allow you to remove exit data from all supported image files in the current directory.

From what I remember, the -all option allows you to set which bits of metadata to keep in the files. So using -all= without specifying any fields basically means "don’t keep any exif metadata", or "delete all exif metadata".

Last edited:

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
This is my exif-cleaning alias:

Code:
alias picclean="exiftool -overwrite_original -all= *.png ; exiftool -overwrite_original -all= *.jpg ; echo $PWD 'images cleaned for privacy sake!'"
Which I should probably just change to the asterisk method in the above post.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Moving this to Command Line.

Cheers

Wizard

Lord Boltar

Credits
How to best remove all EXIF metadata from pic's & Documents using the CLI, i see lots online about it, loads of different ways but i was hoping that the CLI can strip everything with needing to download a third party tool from somewhere?
If downloading a tool is the only way then which tool does the best job which is OpenSource code hence trusted?

I did search on this platform for any related topics and couldn't find anything already.
You can have a look here - https://github.com/hvdwolf/jExifToolGUI/releases
There is an AppImage available for download - this is a GUI frontend for the exiftool which you can can get through the Synaptic Package Manager - libimage-exiftool-perl for Buntu based OS, once this file is installed you can then run the AppImage

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Staff online