How should I deal with this screen flickering issue?

georgekhaidas

Reaction score
Credits
I'm experiencing issues with screen flickering with the Fedora 28 KDE spin on a Thinkpad T480. The screen flickers rapidly (although not always at a constant rate) between the X session and a Linux console screen.

Here's a video of it happening. In this case, the console screen has some messages on it, but I've also seen it happen when the console screen is completely blank except for a cursor. When I switch to tty2, you can see it flicker between 3 different screens: tty2, the Linux console screen, and the X session.

Although I am unable to consistently reproduce this issue, I've only seen it happen when I open the lid of the laptop, which brings up the SDDM lock screen. However, the flickering does not go away even after I login. Suspending the computer doesn't help either. The only way I know how to fix this is to restart.

I have no idea where to even start in trying to solve this issue. I'm not even sure who to report it to as a bug, and when I duck up screen flickering issues I don't see any bugs that seem to match what I'm experiencing (flickering with the console screen). If anyone has any ideas on how I can fix it (either permanently or just something to try to get it to stop without rebooting) or even just where I should report it as a bug, I'd like to know.

Hi George, and first up, regrets on the time it took for your Thread to come to light :(. Then a big welcome to linux.org :)

This time of day is when the Spammers come out to play, mostly while the US is sleeping. I am the Aussie Spammer Hammer and I have knocked off one already, and that is where I saw your Thread awaiting approval and did so. Seems the youtube reference confused our overzealous site software.

I'll take a look at the vid shortly, and in the meantime can you give me the output from Fed 28 of

Code:
xinput

Also, what were the keywords you used with The Duck?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi George, and first up, regrets on the time it took for your Thread to come to light :(. Then a big welcome to linux.org :)

This time of day is when the Spammers come out to play, mostly while the US is sleeping. I am the Aussie Spammer Hammer and I have knocked off one already, and that is where I saw your Thread awaiting approval and did so. Seems the youtube reference confused our overzealous site software.

I'll take a look at the vid shortly, and in the meantime can you give me the output from Fed 28 of

Code:
xinput

Also, what were the keywords you used with The Duck?

Cheers
Nox Showbox Mobdro

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
i understand!!!!

Hi George, I do not understand where the "Nox Showbox Mobdro" reference comes into the picture?

I understand they are Android apps you may have been trying to download, but not how they factor in here, unless your problems started after visiting those sites.

When you come up with that xinput output, I may see something.

Don't click Reply at the right, and write in your answers to my questions, the youtube reference just snafu's the site software and your reply gets stalled until someone moderates it.

Go to the bottom where it says "Write your reply..." and Post there.

Do you have a touchscreen?

Cheers

Wizard

Members online