How secure is secure?

ok, jumping asround a bit... is this what I want to install Vivaldi?
No... use the search box shown and enter vivaldi there. It should show up on the right instead. Then you click on the empty box and choose "Mark for installation." If it shows you a list of other things at that point (dependencies)... then you would mark them for installation too. After they are marked, click the Apply button.

ok, jumping asround a bit... is this what I want to install Vivaldi?
Going on the screen shot I would select Vivaldi and install it.
Or use the terminal
using apt get install vivaldi

(Others can correct me should I be in error. )
That is what I would do. difficult not working with a live Mint.

No... use the search box shown and enter vivaldi there. It should show up on the right instead. Then you click on the empty box and choose "Mark for installation." If it shows you a list of other things at that point (dependencies)... then you would mark them for installation too. After they are marked, click the Apply button.
The search box in Package Manager? If so, that's how I got that screen.

The search box in Package Manager? If so, that's how I got that screen.
Yeah, hold on. Mint has changed the behavior of Synaptic Package Manager. Let me go figure it out. You can't "mark" Vivaldi from that screen, I don't think.

Okay, I get it. Vivaldi is no longer in the Mint repositories (repos). The repositories are what you are seeing when running Synaptic. For Vivaldi, you'll have to download it from their website and save the .deb file to your Downloads folder. When the download is complete, I think you can just double-click the .deb file to open it up and install it (using gdebi program, which I think is now included in Mint).

We'll have to save the Synaptic lesson for another program sometime. Do you like Solitaire?

We'll have to save the Synaptic lesson for another program sometime. Do you like Solitaire?
One of my favorite pastimes, why?

Okay, I get it. Vivaldi is no longer in the Mint repositories (repos). The repositories are what you are seeing when running Synaptic. For Vivaldi, you'll have to download it from their website and save the .deb file to your Downloads folder. When the download is complete, I think you can just double-click the .deb file to open it up and install it (using gdebi program, which I think is now included in Mint).

Okay, here goes nothing! (Bad saying, gotta quit using that. :eek:)

Okay, so in Synaptic, use the search box and search for "aisleriot" (without the quotes). It will appear on the right, like I said it should, and you tick the box and tell it "mark for installation." There are no dependencies, so after that step, you just click the Apply button above and wait for it. AisleRiot has MANY variations of solitaire built in that you can select, but it starts with just the basic version. The cards do not bounce all over the screen when you win, like in Windows, however.

Okay, so in Synaptic, use the search box and search for "aisleriot" (without the quotes). It will appear on the right, like I said it should, and you tick the box and tell it "mark for installation." There are no dependencies, so after that step, you just click the Apply button above and wait for it. AisleRiot has MANY variations of solitaire built in that you can select, but it starts with just the basic version. The cards do not bounce all over the screen when you win, like in Windows, however.
So Cool!! I could care ab out bouncing cards, seen 'em once, seen 'em all. Thanks!

I downloaded and must have installed it twice (I'm multi-tasking here) and here's what Pkg Installer is saying. But I don't have a icon for Vivaldi or any way to access it.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-11-06 14-40-31.png
    Screenshot at 2019-11-06 14-40-31.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 454
I downloaded and must have installed it twice (I'm multi-tasking here) and here's what Pkg Installer is saying. But I don't have a icon for Vivaldi or any way to access it.
That screenshot shows Synaptic Package Manager. You can't download Vivaldi from there... you have to get the .deb file from their website (see post #25 above).

Grrrr! What have I done in my past lives to make things so difficult now?!

I finally got Vivaldi downloaded and installed. I registered with Vivaldi, but now, as I'm trying to set it up, I got this msg.

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-11-06 17-05-47.png
    Screenshot at 2019-11-06 17-05-47.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 494
That makes it more clear, thanks. I'm going to start a new thread. found this thread

That Thread was from our Tobey aka @xXNORDXx , he is a racing car driver for Nissan, sometimes seen lurking around Indianapolis :D

If you need to start a Thread on VPNs he may have good input.

I have Vivaldi on a SwagArch distro, I'll swing over there a little later and register and see.

Cheers all

Wizard

atanere,
Thanks for the instruction on Synaptic. It was very clear and easy to follow.
TC

Isn't that interesting? Makes me wonder why the differences....

Do you really need a VPN with Linux? Isn't that part of Linux' wonderful security?
I use it to obscure my location and thwart geo-tracking AND for the encrypted tunnel between me and my VPN provider. This avoids snoops such as my ISP :)

Let us know if you get the Certificate warning after updating. Just curious!
Hey @atanere ! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding this.
I tried accessing the site with my laptop running Linux Mint 19.2 with Firefox 70.0.1 - works just fine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I tried updating Firefox on my desktop running Linux Mint 19.2 with Firefox 66.0.2 (which accesses the site just fine also) but ran into a snag. Mint update says it updated Firefox to 70.0+linuxmint1+tina but Firefox says it is still on 66.0.2. I think I may have to start a new thread regarding this update anomaly.

Members online