How many people use linux.org on mobile?

I sometimes feel obligated to, if I'm not home and haven't been able to go through the moderation queue for a while. It's [redacted]ing horrible. It's not the worst site to use on mobile, but it's not a great experience. I try to go through the moderation queue at least a few times every day, as there are posts that need to be approved and reports that need to be handled - both of which should be done in a timely manner. So, I have used the site on mobile and it's pretty horrible - but not as bad as some sites.

I am heavily biased. I pretty much hate all mobile browsing. Pretty much all mobile browsing is horrible.

On a positive note, it doesn't require installing an application. On that note, an application might be better. See this link. The emphasis is on 'require' an app. An optional app has some potential, but requiring one for a forum is a bit much.

Pretty much all mobile browsing is horrible.
Agreed. What I don't like about mobile browsing:
  • It's hard to type, copy, paste, edit, add a paragraph, and grab any link.
  • The tab function is not as easy as in PC. Therefore, it is hard to browse different websites at one time.
  • It's hard to type a password with various special characters and numbers on mobile.
  • Not many tools I can use like taking screenshots and post on a forum when using a mobile phone.
  • Security. Mobile phones can easily be stolen or lost. Unlike a PC.
  • Privacy concerns. If you are using Android, then you will give a lot of data to Google.

Last edited:
I have a very old very basic small screen 3g smartphone which has never been used on the internet for browsing, having big stubby fingers I am always hitting the wrong key, I do however use it as a modem in conjunction with my even older 32 bit acer ZG5 8" netbook [curently running MX-32bit] when we are away and there is no wi-fi,
I dont know which I trust less Windows or Google/android both leek more than a sieve both are more interested in your data than providing a secure service.

I prefer to use my laptop, or my work pc for Linux.org. But I am quite often on here on my phone.

It’s a bit trickier to write and post code snippets and things on the phone.

On laptop/pc, I’m used to manually typing and formatting everything using bbcode. Much faster to just type everything from the keyboard, than to have to reach for the mouse and click things on the post editors toolbar. I prefer to keep my hands on the keyboard at all times!

When I’m on my phone, I tend to do the same. But it’s much slower, due to having to keep switching the keyboard context, for different types of characters. Maybe I aught to rely on the Linux.org editor toolbars a bit more on mobile?!

And then of course there is the scourge that is autocorrect! Really annoying to type/swipe a sentence, or a complete paragraph, to discover that autocorrect has changed a ton of words and you have several lines of nonsensical gibberish to edit! Ha ha!

I have pretty adept fingers. I've played guitar for more than five decades. However, my tablet is much easier than my phone. At the same time, this tablet is older and autocomplete sucks on it. Typing and clicking are mostly easier.

I recall reading about alternative keyboards with better autocomplete. I've never explored that.

I don't even try to use my smartphone it's so hard to see things.
It's hard enough using the browser just to see the temperature for the day.

However, Linux.org runs great on my Lenovo tablet! :)

Like everyone else I hate browsing on mobile as many others have pointed out the annoyances. Yet I spend an estimated 8/10 sessions from my mobile as I'm in bed a lot of the time I'm here. Luckily, I'm used to typing BBCode manually, though impressively, this site's toolbars work so I'm trying to break the habit of manually entering formatting. Code snippets can be a nuisance, but I live with it.

I honestly think I have an unfair advantage over y'all. I use "Unexpected Keyboard", which doesn't require any swapping. Y'all should check it out. It is the lightsabre of keyboards in that it requires considerable training, but once mastered, well, it destroys...
Code:
~ () ` _- += {} [] \ k | <> /? ;:  ' "
All without using a mod key or switching keyboards. I can also use diacritics like clichè, etc. invoked with special strokes in a semi-modal manner. I also have tab, del, Up, down, left, right, Return, Esc, Ctrl, Alt so, yeah, pretty cool keyboard. It also features

If ye have the courage of 1000 men, it's free on the Play Store.

Members online