How many installations around the word

sdfaccio

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning. Does anyone know how many Linux installations there are worldwide, or where I can get the information from. Thanks!!

I did the math not too long ago, basing it on the best and most recent numbers I could find. There are somewhere between 38,000,000 and 44,000,000 desktop Linux users.

I was unable to find the numbers for server installs, but it probably dwarfs that number when you count virtual servers - as many hardware servers will have many virtualized OSes on it. One server may have hundreds of virtual instances running on it in the form of a VPS or similar.

For some scale, all the top 500 supercomputers run Linux (last time I checked).

In 2016, RackSpace (RackSolutions) determined that there were ~100,000,000 servers across the globe and that they'd need 4x that amount to handle the web by 2020. Statista seems to indicate a giant upswing in server purchases, but the complete stats are behind a paywall.

Each of those servers may have multiple sites and multiple instances of Linux running on them. Those numbers seem to only include those servers that aren't dark - meaning they're public facing. So, that's not business' private servers (probably).

Exact figures are hard to come by, at least with my search terms.

Oh, and to compare...

There are 7,950,000,000+ cell phone numbers and 5.22 billion smartphone users as of 2020.

and many smart home appliances [frige/cooker/t.v. smart boxes ,toaster] and many vehicles have systems based on a cut down linux

@sdfaccio
G'day and welcome.
Greetings from Ukraine

Members online