How is the P2P Model Compared to Client-Server Model?

• Thread starter Deleted member 111282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 111282

I've always been interested in checking out P2P networks just to understand how they work. When I was talking to my brother about wanting to install a P2P program on GitHub called the Peernet, he was telling me its fine if I want to do that, but I should be careful to not accidentally make things complicated for myself. Because of that, I'm interested in knowing:
Is there a steep learning curve when using P2P networks?
How would I do things differently than on client-server networks?
What are some basic terms I should be aware of?
Are P2P networks more secure than client-server networks, less, or about the same?
I know P2P are susceptible to malware and routing attacks. How do I protect myself from them?

Obviously, there are more questions I'd like to ask, but those are the only ones I can think of at the moment

Q1: How would I do things differently than on client-server networks?
Client-Server: All clients talk to a centralized server.
Peer-to-Peer: All clients can talk directly to one another.

Q2: What are some basic terms I should be aware of?
Peer-to-Peer vs Client-Server are only different in topology and how they are employed. It depends where you are going with this question.

Q3: Are P2P networks more secure than client-server networks, less, or about the same?
That depends. An open Peer-to-Peer network like BitTorrent and stuff, people can put whatever they want on them. BitTorrent and the like are another way virus and ransomware are propagated.

On the other hand, you can have closed Peer-to-Peer networks that can be more secure, but in truth. Anything and everything can be compromised. There is a reason some of the most secure computers in government are what is called "Air Gapped". Meaning their networks are not connected to the outside.

Q4: I know P2P are susceptible to malware and routing attacks. How do I protect myself from them?
Don't use untrusted networks. If you do, then don't be foolish. Kids learn not to touch hot stoves by getting burned. People fooling around with things on the Internet that they don't understand often get burned too.

Install an Anti-Virus suite that also supports Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) and support untrusted application containment. (software that will run untrusted software in a walled-off contained sandbox)

Q1: How would I do things differently than on client-server networks?
Client-Server: All clients talk to a centralized server.
Peer-to-Peer: All clients can talk directly to one another.

Q2: What are some basic terms I should be aware of?
Peer-to-Peer vs Client-Server are only different in topology and how they are employed. It depends where you are going with this question.

Q4: I know P2P are susceptible to malware and routing attacks. How do I protect myself from them?
Don't use untrusted networks. If you do, then don't be foolish. Kids learn not to touch hot stoves by getting burned. People fooling around with things on the Internet that they don't understand often get burned too.

Install an Anti-Virus suite that also supports Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) and support untrusted application containment. (software that will run untrusted software in a walled-off contained sandbox)

I know all clients talk to one another, but if I needed help with troubleshooting Linux, how would get it in a P2P network?

Where I'm going with the second question is, for example, would I still use websites to access information or would I have to use a special program to do so?

While I'm open to use an anti-virus made for Linux, is it really necessary to do so because of frequent updates? If so, which ones would you recommend?

I know all clients talk to one another, but if I needed help with troubleshooting Linux, how would get it in a P2P network?
If you want to get on BitTorrent, goto https://www.bittorrent.com/

If you want some other specific P2P network. You would search for it to figure out how to get on it. If it's a private P2P network, you would need to get an invite.
Where I'm going with the second question is, for example, would I still use websites to access information or would I have to use a special program to do so?
This is a P2P network dependent question. For the most part, yes. For BitTorrent, you need a BitTorrent browsing application. For Tor, you would use a Tor browser. The application you use, needs to be an aware application. Aware of the network you're using.
While I'm open to use an anti-virus made for Linux, is it really necessary to do so because of frequent updates? If so, which ones would you recommend?
I haven't been a big Anti-Virus user, but I've worked in the industry before and been lucky enough to have more insight into what and where I become vulnerable. Since COVID-19 hit. Attacks are WAY up! So, I recently picked up an anti-virus solution that also contains HIPS, sandboxing, and it's own firewalling solution on top of anti-virus.

Is it necessary? Not unless you get compromised. Then, yes. It is.

If you want to get on BitTorrent, goto https://www.bittorrent.com/

After looking further into this, I realized I'm actually more interested in learning how to use P2P web-hosting. I know ZeroNet is one program that's capable of doing that, and it uses BitTorrent trackers. I did check it out once, but knowing how to set up a site on it takes some time to learn. Supposedly from what I heard, it being censorship-resistant allows one bad apple to spoil the bunch. What's your opinion on it?

P2P web hosting or are you talking about Tor?

I really don't use P2P networks except when say downloading ISO files for say Linux or something when it's an option. (many times it is)

As I said; outside of that, I really don't use P2P networks that I can recall. I really don't have an opinion of them either other than to say the road to hell is paved with good intentions lol. Look at Cryptocurrencies. Great idea, but fraught with scammers looking to prey on people like a Venus Fly Trap or a way to handle illegal commerce. Sure. You can get in and use these services, but there is risk involved.

1628681246041.png

Members online