How do you specifically install a GTK-PPP tar.gz in Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Vicktoria

Credits
Hello Friends. New agenda. Still trying for a front end GUI for wvdial. I have GTK zip downloaded. I just don't know the terminal code to get it installed.

Where should I unzip it?

How do I get it installed from there?

As alays you all are greatly appreciated.

Vicktoria

Credits
Thanks for the suggestion. Read Me file had no installation direction. I'll continue to see what i can find about tar.gz file installation.

kc1di

Credits
It's a compressed file. you need to open it with archive manager then extract it to say your /home directory. After that you will need to cd to the file in a terminal and then configure the package and make it and make install it. It not a binary package that can be installed directly.
The commands are
Code:
./configure
make
sudo make install
But gtk-ppp requires a very old GCC from ubuntu 9.03 which is not going to install in Mint 20.x
So you'll be out of luck again.
As I have said before I don't believe you'll find any WVdial gui that is going to install on recent Ubuntus or Mints. MX still is the best alternative if you must have a dial up gui front end.

Vicktoria

Credits
Ok guys, thanks for the input. I'm exploring the files. There is an install file which has more specific info similar to what your shared kc1di. It may be an impossible goal, with Mint. I'll let you know how it goes.

Vicktoria

Credits
Hiya Everyone, Everything is working connecting dialup via terminal and wvdial. I haven't succeeded in getting a GUI installed. As you've said, it seems undoable, and I don't want to break anything since it is working. Thank you all for getting me up and running. It has been a 3yr. journey So glad to be functioning. Will look for a package to see connection speed and let you know if I every get a GUI to connect with.

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Vicky, just a thought that I expect you have pursued, but just in case -

viasat and HughesNet are two satellite broadband providers in Virginia. Have you ever checked with them whether you could get satellite?

Wizard

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Staff online