How do you download or install software?

Yes, I think you've got it installed okay. If there is no menu item to start it, as Brian is having you look for, then you can create one.

Try this in a terminal:
Code:
sudo surfshark-vpn status

ok....then for some weird reason this app does not allow a shortcut....OR it has installed using a different name/title

It this thing free ?

ok....then for some weird reason this app does not allow a shortcut....OR it has installed using a different name/title

It this thing free ?

I don't have those options when I right click, what it does show is > Open with, GDebi Package Installer, Archive Manager and Other application
This is your post #24. Don't right click anything. Get away from your Downloads folder. Delete that file in Downloads, if you want. You're done with it.

Open your Start Menu! The far-left button on the panel, where you launch everything from. When you open it, your cursor is in a search box.... start typing surfshark and see if any program menus come up?

This is your post #24. Don't right click anything. Get away from your Downloads folder. Delete that file in Downloads, if you want. You're done with it.

Open your Start Menu! The far-left button on the panel, where you launch everything from. When you open it, your cursor is in a search box.... start typing surfshark and see if any program menus come up?
lol look up

Yep, from your picture, it looks like there is no program menu. You will probably have to launch it every time from the terminal.

Show us the status with the terminal command I gave above...

Code:
sudo surfshark-vpn status

Yep, from your picture, it looks like there is no program menu. You will probably have to launch it every time from the terminal.
okay then are there many like this or is this just an unusual one? thanks

That is unusual....it is also a sign of a poorly crafted app

I know its working and I was just curious if an Icon or something else would show in the menu area

Attachments

• surf2.png
    surf2.png
    64.3 KB · Views: 461
you could always try installing it again.

If this were me, I would give it the flick simply because it does not "behave"....it absorbs time and patience and is simply a pain in the butt.

Again here the thing their instruction I didn't do post # 51 because I don't know how or what they're talking about. I just downloaded and then just extracted as I would do under windows, afterward I skip that part and went on with the rest of stuff, if someone can explain how to do post # 51 maybe that will help, thanks

I'm guessing it behaves exactly as they want, though I don't really know why they would not want a menu item. Security reasons?

For now, keep your terminal commands web page handy, and load it whenever you want to use it. Their options make it clear that sometimes people don't want to use it... so you can "disconnect" or "unload" the connection or app.

I'm guessing it behaves exactly as they want, though I don't really know why they would not want a menu item. Security reasons?

For now, keep your terminal commands web page handy, and load it whenever you want to use it. Their options make it clear that sometimes people don't want to use it... so you can "disconnect" or "unload" the connection or app.
Yeah, that is true and it's pretty easy with the terminal from their instruction

Here the thing I try the software manager and syn to find the software SurfShark but neither had it. Now Surfshark website is saying it supports Linux and that I had to do the following but I could get to this part below, I was able to download it from there website they have a download tab and I click on it and it got downloaded onto my download folder
Here is your post #51. They do support Linux... you installed the .deb file correctly and loaded it with the terminal command. You're actually following everything correctly at this point, as far as I can see. But its no surprise that it is not in Synaptic or Software Manager.... don't worry about that.

The part I don't get from their instruction is this

Then go to your downloads folder and double click on the setup package file. Press Install in the dialogue box that will appear. This will install the Surfshark VPN repository on your computer. If you can see a button with word Remove, the client was installed successfully. Now you can go run the app in the Terminal.

Though when I view the file I can only double click on the deb file, I can't find setup file or at least I don't know how is there a certain way one can do such? Or is the deb file the set up file?Thanks

It is already setup! That is why you can now delete that installation file.

I said this earlier.... open a terminal and issue this command which gdebi. It will respond to you with /usr/bin/gdebi.... this tells you that gdebi is installed in /usr/bin.

Then go to your downloads folder and double click on the setup package file. Press Install in the dialogue box that will appear.
This step was you using gdebi to install surfshark. The code above confirms gdebi was already installed. So this step was completed when you first double clicked the file.

You could try which surf-shark and it may give you a response. But it doesn't matter even if it doesn't because you know it is installed. It's working! :D

It is already setup! That is why you can now delete that installation file.

I said this earlier.... open a terminal and issue this command which gdebi. It will respond to you with /usr/bin/gdebi.... this tells you that gdebi is installed in /usr/bin.

This step was you using gdebi to install surfshark. The code above confirms gdebi was already installed. So this step was completed when you first double clicked the file.
That part I did no problem but I'm talking about prior to all that. Their saying under my download folder to double click the setup file again is the set up file the deb file because if so then I did everything correctly

Staff online