How do you download or install software?

Another thing about the Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager can you have more than one of Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager or is one all that is needed? Are there different types?
Each distro provides their methods of downloading and installing software. Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian.... so you are using the "Debian family" of package management... which is why you encounter .deb files that can install programs.

Red Hat and others use .rpm files (RedHat Package Management).

Each distro may (or may not) use Synaptic, or their own version of Software Manager. But they will use SOMETHING so that you can add software to your Linux.

All distros can compile from source code and can install from the terminal, but the terminal commands are often different between the different distros.

Last edited:

Each distro provides their methods of downloading and installing software. Mint is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian.... so you are using the "Debian family" of package management... which is why you encounter .deb files that can install programs.

Red Hat and others user .rpm files (RedHat Package Management).

Each distro may (or may not) use Synaptic, or their own version of Software Manager. But they will use SOMETHING so that you can add software to your Linux.

All distros can compile from source code and can install from the terminal, but the terminal commands are often different between the different distros.
Good to know, thank you again

So now when I view where I download Surfshark is saying it has been installed but again when I right click I only have those option I mention above in Post #24

since they're free how good can they be,...

In the area of vpn's, maybe not so good......

On the other hand you have apps like Libre Office (which is included with Linux Mint) which is Free of charge and is a brilliant program.

You just have to establish what you actually need.....and then pick your way through whats available

The majority are simple to install......and even easier to uninstall if they don't perform as you wish.

Wow, nice to know but curious since they're free how good can they be, comparing them to the paid versions?
Well, I think that "free" Linux is as good or better than "must-pay-for" Windows. I also think that "free" LibreOffice is as good or better than "must-pay-for" Microsoft Office. :D :D

But you are also comparing "software" to "services".... and I think you may need to distinguish between them a bit. VPN is a service... you hope that using a paid version will give you more privacy or security than the free version. That could be true with email too, for example. I pay for an email provider, and I trust them much more than I trust Gmail with my privacy. Make sense?

Well, I think that "free" Linux is as good or better than "must-pay-for" Windows. I also think that "free" LibreOffice is as good or better than "must-pay-for" Microsoft Office. :D :D

But you are also comparing "software" to "services".... and I think you may need to distinguish between them a bit. VPN is a service... you hope that using a paid version will give you more privacy or security than the free version. That could be true with email too, for example. I pay for an email provider, and I trust them much more than I trust Gmail with my privacy. Make sense?
True enough and I too use a pay email client

VLC is also an excellent media player.....and is one of the first on the list in alternative to

If tyou also use a torrent client, I would recommend qbittorrent ....available in software manager.Free.
or from alternative to...Free
I prefer to install from software manager or Synaptic

If I cant find it there then I will look elsewhere eg alternative to etc

So now when I view where I download Surfshark is saying it has been installed but again when I right click I only have those option I mention above in Post #24
Right-click what? Don't go back to the install file in Downloads if you have actually installed their app. If the website says it has been installed, then it seems they detect that it is running on your system. I don't know how the VPN's work though. Is it a program to run? Or a browser plugin? How can you verify that your VPN is active? @Condobloke.... ???

VLC is also an excellent media player.....and is one of the first on the list in alternative to

If tyou also use a torrent client, I would recommend qbittorrent ....available in software manager.Free.
or from alternative to...Free
I prefer to install from software manager or Synaptic

If I cant find it there then I will look elsewhere eg alternative to etc
I have used VLC prior but found it to have some issues with play back and I went back to Windows media classic player, I been going back and forth with the both, music player I use foobar2000, now these are under windows and since I'm a newbie to Linux I will have to find what works best and also view what others like yourself have suggested, Another thing I have never used is Torrent but I might get my feet wet one day lol ... Thanks though

Well, someone can correct me. If you surf to https://whatismyipaddress.com/ it will tell you your IP address. For me, without a VPN, it shows my nearly-exact location and my true IP address from my ISP. If a VPN is setup and working correctly, wouldn't this website show you somewhere else in the world, with a bogus IP address?

Right-click what? Don't go back to the install file in Downloads if you have actually installed their app. If the website says it has been installed, then it seems they detect that it is running on your system. I don't know how the VPN's work though. Is it a program to run? Or a browser plugin? How can you verify that your VPN is active? @Condobloke.... ???
Here the thing I try the software manager and syn to find the software SurfShark but neither had it. Now Surfshark website is saying it supports Linux and that I had to do the following but I could get to this part below, I was able to download it from there website they have a download tab and I click on it and it got downloaded onto my download folder

Attachments

• surf.png
    surf.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 428
@atanere I can start the service but I have to use the Terminal for it and yes I can see the different ip address so I know its working but again I don't have anything to load it without using Terminal

You are showing a pic from their website.... as they are explaining how to install their app (so you can use their service). I don't think you have installed their app yet. Way back in this conversation, I suggested that you do this in a terminal:
Code:
sudo apt install gedbi

You need this to follow their instructions. When they tell you to double-click the downloaded file (and they show you that image)... that is gdebi doing its thing. There were many more steps after this too, so I have doubts right now that you've installed it.

Since this is specialized software (not free)... you won't usually find it in Synaptic or Software Manager. You will find openVPN (free), but I'm not sure if your app needs it or not. You've got to learn to follow these Linux directions very carefully. You can't take shortcuts or skip steps. Linux is very picky about this stuff.

@atanere I can start the service but I have to use the Terminal for it and yes I can see the different ip address so I know its working but again I don't have anything to load it without using Terminal
Well, this is contrary to what I just said above. Oh well. I don't know VPN's! :D

If it's working, it's running in the background. Yes? If your web browser lets you surf the web and the places do not know your true IP address.... that's the point.

Tell me what this reports:
Code:
which gdebi

Okay, good. And the command I just asked for should report: /usr/bin/gdebi.

It about has to, from your picture. Right?

I did that but all I did with that file is double click on it to install it and then they have other things to do under the Terimanl which I did and now its the only way to get it working but I thought maybe there would be an icon or something else to load it without using Terminal but it doesn't seem to be the case unless I'm wrong

ok...so it is installed.

Click on menu(bottom left hand corner of desktop)......them just typing the name of your vpn......either shark or surf.....it should appear on it own...nothing else showing in the menu
(do not go to the downloads folder)

Then right click on that name....and select where to put the shortcut

Sorry...been away from PC...shave time !....looking a touch scruffy according to my dearly beloved !!)

ok...so it is installed.

Click on menu(bottom left hand corner of desktop)......them just typing the name of your vpn......either shark or surf.....it should appear on it own...nothing else showing in the menu
(do not go to the downloads folder)

Then right click on that name....and select where to put the shortcut

Sorry...been away from PC...shave time !....looking a touch scruffy according to my dearly beloved !!)
I did what you said but please read my post # 24 because doing what you said my only option is in post # 24

Staff online

Members online