How do you download or install software?

Both of you made it much clear thanks, I not saying like how windows files are but rather if I wanted a certain program you would use the Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager and type the name and install, yes? But what if it's not listed there and the company website doesn't have a .deb file? I will later when I have more time learn about PPA, I don't want to get too much in my head, I'm trying to take it slowly so it can stick in my head lol

You mentioned there is no icon for the vpn.

Click on menu, and then type in the name of the program/app

Right click on the name of the app, and select either 'Add to Panel'...or 'Add to Desktop'

You may also find this useful

It lists Alternative apps/programs...

You mentioned there is no icon for the vpn.

Click on menu, and then type in the name of the program/app

Right click on the name of the app, and select either 'Add to Panel'...or 'Add to Desktop'
I don't have those options when I right click, what it does show is > Open with, GDebi Package Installer, Archive Manager and Other application

Has that app actually been installed ?...or is it just downloaded ?

You may also find this useful

It lists Alternative apps/programs...

Thanks for that but those that do get listed how is one able to use them if by chance one doesn't have a license for it? I mean because I subscribe to Surfshark and it's not listed there but others are how am I able to use it since my sub is with Surfshark?

Has that app actually been installed ?...or is it just downloaded ?
If I am able to use it would it mean it's installed? All I know is I went to there website downloaded and it's in my download folder, afterward I just open it or I think I extracted. then I just follow their sudo instruction whether its installed or how it works it a learning thing for me

If it shows add to panel or desktop....then it is installed

In alternative to....all app's shown there are free....same as linux

There may be a couple there that require payment(they would be exceptions, not the rule)....i have never looked to see !

if I wanted a certain program you would use the Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager and type the name and install, yes?
Yes, but Synaptic is slightly different... you first click or right-click on the software you want and tell it to "Mark for installation".... then tell it to "Apply". Synaptic will sometimes come back, though, and tell you it needs other files too, and you must also "mark" them so they will download and install as well. These are called "dependencies" in Linux.

Sorry, you guys are going on with VPN and alternatives, so let me butt out for now. :D

Yes, but Synaptic is slightly different... you first click or right-click on the software you want and tell it to "Mark for installation".... then tell it to "Apply". Synaptic will sometimes come back, though, and tell you it needs other files too, and you must also "mark" them so they will download and install as well. These are called "dependencies" in Linux.

Sorry, you guys are going on with VPN and alternatives, so let me butt out for now. :D
Its okay Atanere I'm catching on to what you're saying too, thanks

Another thing about the Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager can you have more than one of Synaptic Package manager and Software Manager or is one all that is needed? Are there different types?

those few vpn's may have a cost....but considering there are hundreds of app's in there, the vast majority are free.
On the subject of vpn's...if one is shown as being free......I would leave it alone.
Vpn's are a business.....and if you are not paying them for the app then they have to make their money somewhere....and it is usually by selling your information.

For the record..I use AIRVPN

those few vpn's may have a cost....but considering there are hundreds of app's in there, the vast majority are free.
For the record..I use AIRVPN
Wow, nice to know but curious since they're free how good can they be, comparing them to the paid versions?

Yes

Members online

Latest posts