How do I set up ACL and/or User Number mapping on cifs mounts?

J

John M. Dlugosz

I based my settings on what I read (link censored: figure it out from underlined text in paragraph).

My fstab entries look like this:

Code:
//Oort/Media  /mnt/Oort/Media    cifs  _netdev,rw,credentials=/etc/cifs-credentials,uid=john,forceuid,gid=users,forcegid  0 0

It works "OK" if I only access my own files. But if I touch a file that has differing permissions on the server, Dolphin hangs. Even force-close isn't getting rid of the Dolphin window.

My file server is FreeNAS, and I will soon update it to the latest version. I set up shares for Windows, with ACLs. I do need to redo the permissions on the server too, after updating, so I can coordinate the re-tred of the permissions with the client settings for best effect.

I read on the mount.cifs(8) page about being able to map ACLs and Users. How exactly can I do that? I'm not running a Domain, so every machine (Windows and Linux) has its own idea of accounts. Windows goes by name and lets the server indicate whether access is granted for a particular action, so it works smoothly. Without forceuid, I have issues with User 1001 on the server not being the same number as User 1000 on the client, etc. It tends to forbid actions without actually trying them on the server.

Before reinstalling the OS, I had a mount line that at least didn't hang, but I forgot how it differs from what I show here, assuming it's a difference and not just acting different because the client is different.

Any suggestions on just getting the fstab entries better would be welcome, too.

I'm currently running openSUSE 13.2, mostly default options including choice of desktop.

Members online