How do I run install software I put in my cd tray

cadeheinberg

Reaction score
Credits
Today I installed Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS (Focal Fossa) on my desktop.
The desktop doesn't have built in wifi so I have to use this usb plug in.
I've used the usb plugin on this computer when I had windows 10 and it worked fine.
I don't know how to install the software to use the usb plugin for wifi.

I tried doing "mount /media/cdrom" but it says No such file or directory.
I don't know who to run the cd I am very new to Linux, maybe the installer only works for windows

G'day cadeheinberg, and Welcome to linux.org

I use Logitech speakers which are attached via a usb plug

I recently did a clean install of Linux Mint 20, which is based on focal fossa.

My speakers worked immediately. No driver uploads etc

What brand are the usb speakers.....?

Try shutting down the pc......plug the speakers in....and then start the pc.

Any luck ?

Also...in the software centre (i think that is the correct name in Ubuntu)...look for an app called Pulse Audio Volume control....install it.

Another thought......during the install were you asked if you wanted to install 3rd party drivers/software/apps etc etc ??

you should make confirm that cd software is workable on linux. if not you , please paste the output of lspci after typing it in terminal

Last edited:
The install software on that cd is probably an .exe.....made for Windows.....you are using Linux, so it will not work

The install software on that cd is probably an .exe.....made for Windows.....you are using Linux, so it will not work
Ah that makes sense, sorta what I guessed. Do you know any options I could do to get a usb adapter for my desktop then that would work with ubuntu?

The first thing you need to do is to find out if your usb wireless adapter is Linux compatible.

Usually the wireless device will be detected at the time of install and a driver will be installed but not always.

If you have access to a wired connection then use that to update your Linux install and it may find the needed driver for your wireless adapter.

These may be helpful and worth a read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we're going to need to know device information.

I'll tell you right out of the gate, if it's based on a RealTek chip then your best bet is to chuck it straight into the trash and buy another device. They're dirt cheap at NewEgg (among other sources) and you can add Linux to your search terms. Netis, for one example, works with zero configuration required. Getting a RealTek wifi device working is a crapshoot at best and ends up being a fragile fix more often than not. They just have poor Linux support and seem to give no sh*ts about it.

@raman kumar asked for this info back in post #3

copy and paste the command into terminal....and then copy and paste the reply into your next reply....

lspci

That should give the info needed

Since you have Ubuntu 20.04 installed, you can use it to help you understand what you actually have and with some help here find what can be installed.

If you are willing to learn a bit about opening and using a terminal, there are some very specific and targeted commands that can assist us in helping you. The lspci command is useful, but it is kind of broad. I like using lshw to target specific hardware. For instance, if you plug in your USB wifi device and run a command like
Code:
sudo lshw -c network
it MAY show some useful and complete info about the device. It doesn't always work, but there are always other tools, too.

what is the output of ..

lsusb

and

lspci

finally

nmcli dev show

might help.

Members online