How do I run a windows program in Linux

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Everyone, As I am new to the forum I hope this is the proper protocol. I am working on another core issue on another thread, yet feel we are close to completion. Then I will have this new topic, and I thought the proper protocol is to start a new thread. Firstly, I am working on moving from Windows 7 to Mint with a duel boot, yet if I could run my windows based programs in Linux it would be optimum. So when I fix my boot issues I will need a way to run windows programs in Linux. Also the inspiration for this move to Linux at this time is that my cursor is jumping around, making me crazy. I've tried all the fixes. de-selecting the touchpad, can't remember if I discovered how to disable touchpad. Leaving the arrow off the working window seems to work in Linux but not in windows. So any ideas on this issue would be greatly appreciated as well. Priority is windows programs in Linus. Thanks all.

Hello Everyone, As I am new to the forum I hope this is the proper protocol. I am working on another core issue on another thread, yet feel we are close to completion. Then I will have this new topic, and I thought the proper protocol is to start a new thread. Firstly, I am working on moving from Windows 7 to Mint with a duel boot, yet if I could run my windows based programs in Linux it would be optimum. So when I fix my boot issues I will need a way to run windows programs in Linux. Also the inspiration for this move to Linux at this time is that my cursor is jumping around, making me crazy. I've tried all the fixes. de-selecting the touchpad, can't remember if I discovered how to disable touchpad. Leaving the arrow off the working window seems to work in Linux but not in windows. So any ideas on this issue would be greatly appreciated as well. Priority is windows programs in Linus. Thanks all.

..hmmm.. windows programs..

I would ask "which" windows programs do you need to run? Almost every windows programs has an equivalent (in many cases, better) program in Linux.

Some... "some"... not all windows programs will run in something called wine, if it absolutely has to be a windows app.

Warlock, I read the link. I tried Wine and Virtual box about 15 yrs ago. This graphic intense program didn't work well in Virtual box and may not have worked at all in the old wine. It is worth a shot again at this time. Thanks.

dostounix, I need my astrology program which is robust and graphic intensive. If I could find a linux substitute I'd shift, yet it would be Very hard to beat Kepler. I'd love to find a Linux based program as we know they are the best usually.

Warlock, I read the link. I tried Wine and Virtual box about 15 yrs ago. This graphic intense program didn't work well in Virtual box and may not have worked at all in the old wine. It is worth a shot again at this time. Thanks.
I don't know if your particular Windows program(s) will run or run well in Linux BUT I will say that Wine has come a lonnnggg way in the last 15 years. Virtual Box works well in Linux Mint but I have not tried running a lot of Windows apps in it. There are also other virtualization solutions available for Linux.
A search for a particular programs compatibility may answer the question but sometimes you have to just try it and see.

Yeah, I'm up for just trying things. Think I'll try going with wine as soon as I get Mint installed on the hard drive, and as best as I can figure I need to fix the boot drives for both Linux and windows. I'm getting bleary eyed and haven't slept much as I'm not at my home. I'm going to try to make a bootable usb disk repair an.d then a bootable grub or however I get that on the hard drive to get at windows. I'll have to sacrifice some usbs I have with me as you evidently need to dedicate the usb to make it bootable. I've got to get this fixed today because I can't stay here indefinitely, and my body and brain are failing. No sleep and fried brain is not helping. Had to drive 2 hrs to get to hispeed to camp out with. Ok enough whining...to work. Thanks again for the support.

Can anyone help me with this issue. I've been trying to use repair disk to fix the issues of booting my computer so as to duel install Mint on the Windows 7 drive. I tried to make a bootable usb stick with Etcher as I did to make the Live Mint usb stick. Thought I succeeded. The program acted like I did. Now how do I use it. I can't get it to mount. I need to fix the boot loaders to access the drive and get Mint installed on the hard drive. I have the grub2 iso yet since I haven't succeeded with the boot repair, I hesitate to sacrifice my few remaining usb sticks in an attempt to make a working bootable off the iso, if that is how I'm suppose to do this. HELP...my brain is fried!!! Also am I posting correctly...should I continue in this thread or start another, since it is related yet a different issue. Thanks again.

thing is you don't need a boot repair disk; if you can successfully install a Linux OS because the install will put the boot info onto disk so you can boot up that linix OS.
Then for Windows it will be just a case of updating the boot manager to include Windows. i know that works because once I did a dual boot of Windows and a linux os using Lilo boot manager .

if there was one OS i would put on a usb it would be knoppix; it has gparted and some tools.if you want to give it a go look for EN in iso file name file (i.e english)

eg http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/...ux/knoppix/DVD/KNOPPIX_V8.6-2019-08-08-EN.iso

either burn to dvd disc or to usb stick

then you will have to have another usb for the iso you want to install.

this is a good thread that just about involves everything including cooking an omlete

where we attempted to help a user; well worth a read

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with this issue. I've been trying to use repair disk to fix the issues of booting my computer so as to duel install Mint on the Windows 7 drive. I tried to make a bootable usb stick with Etcher as I did to make the Live Mint usb stick. Thought I succeeded. The program acted like I did.
I need to fix the boot loaders to access the drive and get Mint installed on the hard drive. I have the grub2 iso yet since I haven't succeeded with the boot repair, I hesitate to sacrifice my few remaining usb sticks in an attempt to make a working bootable off the iso, if that is how I'm suppose to do this. HELP...my brain is fried!!! Also am I posting correctly...should I continue in this thread or start another, since it is related yet a different issue. Thanks again.
This post may be more appropriately placed in your thread Duel Install Mint on Windows 7 partitioned drive

I've been trying to use repair disk to fix the issues of booting my computer so as to duel install Mint on the Windows 7 drive.
Please describe "trying". What did you try and what did not work?

I tried to make a bootable usb stick with Etcher as I did to make the Live Mint usb stick. Thought I succeeded. The program acted like I did.
Did the Etcher program succeed in flashing the USB? Have you tried booting from the USB?

Now how do I use it. I can't get it to mount.
You will NOT "mount" it. Place the USB in the computer and start or re-start the machine. Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from the USB flash drive. If the drive flashed properly with the correct .iso and the BIOS is configured correctly then the computer should start up and run from the image on the USB stick.

I need to fix the boot loaders to access the drive and get Mint installed on the hard drive.
You do NOT need to access the boot loaders in order to install Mint. You would install Mint by booting the computer from the Mint Live USB image. During the install process the Mint installer will ask you about installing a boot loader and perhaps where.

At this point the easiest solution may be to try installing Linux Mint again.
Put the USB flash drive with the bootable Linux Mint .iso Live image on it in the computer and start or re-start the computer. If the USB Mint image is working properly your computer should start and run FROM the USB stick. After it has finished starting up and loading the files, once at the 'Desktop', you will see the icon to "Install" Linux Mint. Click that then follow the directions.

The installer should ask you where you want to install. The installer should also 'see' the Windows partitions and ask if you want to install 'alongside' Windows. Or select the partition you want to install on. Just be careful and take your time and try to not overwrite your Windows install if you want to save it.

Hello Warlock, yes it looks like Wine is my best option potentially. I tried to download to my live Mint through synaptic and Wine has a red flag saying it is broken. How do I deal with this. I had hoped I could have the programs I need on a usb drive or on the live Mint to take home and finish working this from dial-up. I hope I can get on forum now that I'm registered from home. In case I can't get this finished soon. I'm in a bind after the crash on the Mint install, since I can't access the windows 7 partition, which has all the programs like Etch and Gpart. I have succeeded in getting some on Live Mint. I tried making a bootable DVD with Brasso Burner but I don't know how to mount it or didn't do it right. I see it is not on the Live Mint so does that mean I can't save anything on that Mint Usb? Man I need assistance. Just call me fried Noobe.

Vrai, Thanks for the wonderful directions. I really am a noobe or more precisely Linux/computer illiterate. I need step by step, and your last was awesome. I will attempt again. I did all of this by the book I thought and it crashed and I lost access to Hard Drive. Thus the attempt to repair boot. So I will restart with Mint Live usb in machine as well as boot repair bootable usb, and attempt to reinstall Mint to hard drive partition.

Vrai, I'm coming to you from my repaired Windows partition!!! The issue of the crash has been going since Tues, with the duel boot issue going on since March 8th, so my sincere gratitude for the assist. Your specific step by step directions made all the difference, upon the foundation of everyones guidance, tutorials and posts on the forums...Thank you all. I needed to know how to get at the boot repair to use it. It is awesome. Now we still need to accomplish the original task of duel boot which was the agenda before the Mint install crash. Would the advice be to make a bootable disk of some grub installing program? Where and how would I do that. I'm going to jump back on the Mint live OS, unless it is recommended to work from the windows partition.

So, now I made a bootable SGrub2 disk, shut down Mint and booted that program. It showed that there were no Grub2 config files, no menu files, no core img, disks and partitions (chainload). It also had a line that said 'reboot SG2D in bios mode to chainload disks and partitions (hd1). Am I to go into windows BIOS and reboot with the stick in. Or can I do it from Mint live? How can I achieve duel boot with grub so that I can choose which system to boot? I read something about a Grub customizer. Do you make a bootable stick for that also, and how would you work with that. Remember I need step by step like: reboot, put both sticks in, etc. Thank you for your time.

I just tried to install Mint on the partition where I want it, as well as on the 'sys' partition labeled windows boot and got same message 'no root files'. I'm out of ideas. Am I correct that it is a lack of grub boot issue as I saw that message just before Mint crashed last time? I'm out of ideas.

I'm trying to get grub on the proper partition and get this duel boot completed...I have questions;). Do I need to move the swap partition after the Windows 7 part? My current order is sys nfts, windows 7 nfts, Mint intended ext4, swap. Which should be active, how do you accomplish naming one active or what prog and I'll find it, Does a 'flag' designation accomplish that; if so which one. Can you have more than one? Where should the grub boot be in order to get the option to boot Win 7 or Mint at start up? This is the goal. How specifically, step by step, do I get the grub where it belongs? I have Mint live, Boot repair live, and SuperGrub2 live. I intend to try to get gpart on a cd live. Made one DVD frisbee already and have to borrow CDs, so I'd like to avoid frisbees. Big question, which Grub version should I use for Mint Mat 18 on Win 7. Should all partitions be mounted? I think I made the Mint and Windows Primary partitions originally from Windows with easus. Lord knows what they are now. I can find out if I know how. My reading says I have to make it a'logical volumn'. I've learned a lot yet still noobe. Is # called hashtag...I live on dial up remember and don't do facebook nor have I a smart phone. Stoneage woman here, sort of. I ran out of paper folks. Please assist. As you may have noticed I'm getting punchy, and my friends will make me go home soon. I feel we're almost there. Thanks for everything.

[
Do I need to move the swap partition after the Windows 7 part?
No.
Which should be active,
During installation or "Live" boot none should be active.
Where should the grub boot be
In BIOS MBR Grub must be placed in the MBR which is the very beginning of the disk. Or more specifically, a 'pointer' which points Grub to the boot files which are located elsewhere on disk as they are too large to fit in MBR.
How specifically, step by step, do I get the grub where it belongs?
Use either the Boot-Repair-Disk afore mentioned OR the Linux Mint Live USB installer.
Big question, which Grub version should I use for Mint Mat 18 on Win 7.
Use the version on the Boot-Repair-Disk or the Linux Mint Live USB you created.
Should all partitions be mounted?
No! The partitions will NOT be mounted when running from a "Live" disk image. When you start up and boot from either the Boot-Repair-Disk OR the Linux Mint Live USB the partitions will not be mounted.
My reading says I have to make it a'logical volumn'.
No, you don't. From the information you have provided thus far, three or four Primary partitions will suffice. You can make a 'logical volume' if you wish but I would advocate for keeping things as simple as possible. A disk formatted with MBR can have only four Primary partitions. So if more than four are needed then a 'logical volume' would be needed.
Is # called hashtag...
Yes.

Members online