How do I run a windows program in Linux

Vrai: How do I get a 'pointer' into the MBR?
Generally, as part of the installation process, the Linux distro of your choice would handle the installation of Grub for you. Putting the bits & pieces where they need to go. Most often the installer will ask where to install Grub. Telling it to install on the 'root' partition or file system or on the first disk usually works. Thus I thought re-installing Linux Mint may be the easiest route for you to follow.
Should I use gparted and resize partitions to allow grub to be installed in the First 'sys' partition? That seems a fix if it doesn't mess with the data on the windows partition. Can I move the 'Mint' 253GB ext4 partition between the 1st part and Windows part? I'm guessing not without erasing windows data. If I can put grub boot into the Linux partition which is currently empty, how do I do this. Can I make a new partition just after the first 'sys' partition for the boot or the whole linux system without loosing windows?
I am becoming quite concerned that all the partition 'management' can possibly cause problems. You need to be aware that even if everything goes well there is ALWAYS the potential for data loss. Be sure you have a back-up of any valuable data. You could end up needing to re-install Windows as well if things go 'sideways' on you. Moving around and re-sizing partitions can be risky.

Just to clarify and be perfectly clear: Are you able to boot into Windows now?

Vrai in response to Capt and 'wagt': Are you saying the grub needs to go on the 2nd partition which is Windows?
NO! ;)

did reformat Linux partition ext4 and tried to install...same results.
Have you tried to install Linux Mint from the Live disk installer application? Walk us through what you are doing - step by step.
Still getting that 'no root files' message with a failed installation and then no access to windows.
Exactly when are you getting this message?

Repair disk overcomes that issue. So it looks like a grub boot install issue.
Something here is not adding up. Did the Boot-Repair-Disk fix the boot issue? It sounds like it did.
You will NOT be able to boot into Linux Mint if it is NOT installed onto the hard drive. Please walk us through your process, step by step, of trying to install Linux Mint from the USB drive.

Vrai, thank you for your assistance, and thanks for the reminder...I should back things up again. Yes I'm at home again and coming to you on windows and dial-up. ok, got it, no on wagt in windows, thanks. Yes I'm using the Mint Live installer. Selecting the 'Install Mint' on the desktop, once I tried it from the applications area, selecting no net access, no 3rd party, 'something else' option for install so as not to wipe windows. Then selecting the Linnux partition as where to install Mint. Always same message 'no root files'. Always noting same red failed indicator, as the words fly across the screen on install indicating grub failed, also on the first attempt the message 'grub failed' was seen briefly. I get the 'no root files' message, after I select 'install' at gparted or whatever the program is used by the Mint Live installer. I'll take specific notes next time I try. Mint has never made it to installation successfully on the hard drive. The only Linux I can use is Live. It seems to me the issue is that the 1st partition is too small to put the grub boot manager on the first part of the disk since there is only 9MB of free space left on that partition. I'm thinking that if I can resize the partitions so that there is 515MB on the first partition sda1, and then move all the others over so that expansion of the sda1 can happen, then shift the others giving some from sda3 where I want the Mint, to sda2 windows 7, and shave the swap to 3GB or so, things may flow. What do you think. After I back up windows. I have an external hard drive to backup to if I can get windows to use it. I came here from the email link again. Otherwise I'm trying to stay on the original thread where I'm suppose to work on the installation issue.

Members online