How do I mix Nvidia and Intel video outputs?

Amanoo

Reaction score
Credits
I have a triple monitor setup on my desktop, and I want to try using my 2 60Hz panels on my Intel IGP, and my 144Hz panel on my Nvidia.

The reason is twofold. As understand it, Nvidia isn't exactly perfect with triple monitor setups, or even with triple monitor setups. I'd like to see if I get a slightly better experience by throwing Intel into the mix. I'd also like to use single GPU passthrough, and by using a software KVM switch, I should be able to "alt-tab" between my Windows on the center screen and my Linux on the side displays.

I can't quite figure out how to do it though. A lot of info that I'm finding talks about PRIME offloading. I did install the PRIME package, but I'm not sure if that's what I want. The Intel outputs will just display the output from Nvidia. What happens when I remove the Nvidia GPU from Linux and use it in a VM? Then there's just Intel, no more Nvidia and no more PRIME.

So far, I've gotten Linux to recognise one of my screens by messing with my xorg conf. However, I can't set a resolution or refresh rate, and it isn't outputting anything. The other screen is still missing. There is no image output being sent to the screen. When I enter lspci, I can see the Intel graphics being listed. inxi -Fxz lists two devices. First Intel Graphics HD 630 at bus ID 00:02.0, and then Nvidia GP102 on bus 01:00.0.

My system is a 7700K, GTX1080ti, and the motherboard is an MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC. This motherboard only has two display outputs, one HDMI and one DisplayPort, so using all three monitors on the Intel is not an option.

EDIT: I got one monitor working via Intel. Just had to press "active" in Cinnamon's display manager GUI. I'm still not sure what I'm doing and whether or not I'm using PRIME to do it. And I still need to get my other monitor working somehow. It's not being detected. But it's a start. I added the following to my xorg conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "modesetting"
    BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

EDIT2: Apparently, I just had to plug my second monitor out and back in again. It is working now. Still got to figure out if I'm using PRIME offloading or just mixing Intel and Nvidia.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online