How do I install Linux on. MacBook Pro with M1 chip

Lancer

Reaction score
Credits
Is there a version of Linux out for a MacBook Pro with an M1 silicon chip?
Not a virtual type a regular operating system??

Is there a version of Linux out for a MacBook Pro with an M1 silicon chip?
Not a virtual type a regular operating system??
You can install any Linux version on your MacBook. Just create a bootable USB drive.
*Shut down your Macbook and plug in the USB drive
*Reboot with the USB drive and while the machine is booting up hold the "Alt" key.
*There will be 3 entries: Apple (Or Macintosh), "Windows" and "EFI".
*Both the "Windows" ans "EFI" is your USB. For some reason Apple doesn't recognize (Or acknowledge) Linux.
*Choose the "Windows" option, somehow the install will be more successful for reasons I do not understand
*The machine will now boot into the USB and you can install your distro.

:)

You can install any Linux version on your MacBook. Just create a bootable USB drive.

I suspect you're unaware of this but the M1 architecture is different. You might want to click the link posted by @arochester above. It's still a new architecture. Linux will natively run on that hardware in due time, but that time is not now.

I suspect you're unaware of this but the M1 architecture is different. You might want to click the link posted by @arochester above. It's still a new architecture. Linux will natively run on that hardware in due time, but that time is not now.
Hello,
I read the article mentioned above, and I was wondering if there are any significant differences I should be aware of between ARM Linux distributions and x86-64 Linux distributions? I'm mainly looking into its effect on software development with C++.
Any advice or help is extremely appreciated!
Thanks!

@Casanova , you would do well to open your own topic. Members who have joined since may 29, will not see this post unless they go looking for it....which narrows your chances, somewhat.

Put a link to this topic in your fresh topic if you like, ....by doing that you will at least rope in the people who have already answered here

I should be aware of between ARM Linux distributions and x86-64 Linux distributions
Welcome
Once you strip off all the bells and whistles, you come down to the Linux kernel which is the beating heart of your distribution, which now has codecs available not only for I386,and AMD64 but also ARM architecture CPU's, when you choose a distribution the only basic difference is the coding to operate the CPU and some component drivers, your applications [the bells and whistles] will work with either, including the various development and pen-testing offerings.

I'm mainly looking into its effect on software development with C++.

The experience should be similar, though maybe with a different IDE if you're developing on ARM itself and not compiling for ARM on another system.

@Casanova , you would do well to open your own topic.

And ^THIS!

It's almost always better to start your own topic. It helps keep things organized and doesn't ping people who posted in a thread long ago.

Members online

Latest posts