How do I get an external keyboard to work with Mint 20?

Damocles

Reaction score
Credits
I've got a laptop using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20 and am trying to use an external keyboard. I've tried both wired and wireless keyboards but neither seem to work. I've tested both out on another pc and both work A-OK so it's not the devices and it's also obviously not the laptop's USB ports because I'm using a wired mouse which works fine. I just can't seem to get either keyboard to function. What can I do?

Keyboards can be weird. Sometimes, plugging the keyboard in while the OS is running will mean that the keyboard doesn't work. Are you plugging the keyboard in before booting?

Also, does your laptop have an internal keyboard shutoff switch? It's usually some Fn + key combination, but I've seen a few where it's an actual dedicated switch.

Thank you! That kinda solved the issue in a somewhat round about way.

I plugged the wireless unifying receiver in prior to boot up. I opened up a new document and started typing. Nothing was happening on the laptop but my other pc was reacting. The keyboard that I was trying to use for the laptop is a Logitech wireless one and the other pc uses an HP wireless mouse and keyboard. But when I checked its USB ports I found another Logitech unifying receiver (the one I'd plugged into the laptop obviously wasn't working).

In any case, I re-booted the laptop running Mint with the "correct" receiver in place and now all is well.

Thank You!

Members online