How Do I Compile VLC? I Keep Having Trouble With Qt.

Hmmm, not sure what's going on here!
I'm getting the same error messages about the qt5 quick library not being installed. But it definitely is installed.... Really not sure what to suggest here offhand!

OK, finally got the build to configure.

Earlier in the configure I had some errors about missing xcb dev libraries, so I installed the following:
libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libx11-xcb-dev

Then I started getting the errors about the missing qtquickcontrols library.

After a bit of searching in apt I discovered that there was one missing qt quick package which I had to install manually:
qtquickcontrols2-5-dev

So it seems that after installing the build-deps for vlc and vlc-plugin-qt, you need to install the following packages:
Code:
sudo apt install libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libx11-xcb-dev qtquickcontrols2-5-dev

Now the configure completes and I have started building vlc......
And it has built successfully!

Last edited:
OK, finally got the build to configure.

Earlier in the configure I had some errors about missing xcb dev libraries, so I installed the following:
libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libx11-xcb-dev

Then I started getting the errors about the missing qtquickcontrols library.

After a bit of searching in apt I discovered that there was one missing qt quick package which I had to install manually:
qtquickcontrols2-5-dev

So it seems that after installing the build-deps for vlc and vlc-plugin-qt, you need to install the following packages:
Code:
sudo apt install libxcb-shm0-dev libxcb-xv0-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-composite0-dev libx11-xcb-dev qtquickcontrols2-5-dev

Now the configure completes and I have started building vlc......
And it has built successfully!
Yeah, I wanted to wait this one out..... :D I wanted us both to learn something..... :) But thank you SO much good sir!..... :3 Another way I found was to install the full Qt5 from Qt's website!..... :3 I guess there are TWO ways to do this then!..... :3

1. Prepare your compile environment,
  2. Grab the source of VLC media player,
  3. Bootstrap, using the ./bootstrap script, if you took the code from repository,
  4. Prepare the extras libraries needed for VLC media player, read the list,
  5. Configure,
  6. Build, using make,
  7. and Profit!

1. Prepare your compile environment,
  2. Grab the source of VLC media player,
  3. Bootstrap, using the ./bootstrap script, if you took the code from repository,
  4. Prepare the extras libraries needed for VLC media player, read the list,
  5. Configure,
  6. Build, using make,
  7. and Profit!

And another low quality necropost on an already solved thread! Wow, you’re on a roll!

The OP had already done the above and had some problems. I went through the above steps too and experienced the same problems. I documented how I fixed the problem and using that information, the OP solved their problem too.

Once again, your post in an old, inactive thread has added nothing of value to the conversation. Do you actually read all of these threads before you post?!

Necropost : A necropost is a post on an "old, abandoned thread that has been considered 'dead' for a while...that no longer serves any purpose but is bumped back up to the top of the forums by someone posting in it." Necroposting is seen as a form of spam and clogs up the forums with old and unneeded topics

Get involved with more recent topics, @samK

Members online

Latest posts