How can install open office from a dvd

• Thread starter Deleted member 35560
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35560

I am sorry I got told off for not putting this in the correct place. I am completely new at this so again, sorry if it seems stupid or has been answered before. I have Linux Mint, which I really love, but I didn't like Libre Office so tried to install using wine Microsoft Office 2007 which I have on disk. It didn't seem to work so I purchased Open Office on DVD. It works fine, well the dvd does, but I can install Open Office and get it to work. Please can some one help me, if you can please remember I've only been on Mint for a week so don't make it too tecky for me - thank you

I am sorry I got told off for not putting this in the correct place. I am completely new at this so again, sorry if it seems stupid or has been answered before. I have Linux Mint, which I really love, but I didn't like Libre Office so tried to install using wine Microsoft Office 2007 which I have on disk. It didn't seem to work so I purchased Open Office on DVD. It works fine, well the dvd does, but I can install Open Office and get it to work. Please can some one help me, if you can please remember I've only been on Mint for a week so don't make it too tecky for me - thank you

Hi @Ptahhotep, and welcome! It's hard when you first get started, but hang in there and folks here will try to help.

First off, I would highly recommend you stick with LibreOffice that was included with Linux Mint. OpenOffice is not actually being developed anymore (so I'm sorry you spent money for a DVD), but LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice that is regularly updated. Almost all of the major Linux distributions now choose LibreOffice as their default office suite.

Wine may or may not support Microsoft Office 2007 very well. I haven't checked on this. But being new to Linux, it is really better to stay away from Wine if you can find other alternatives, and LibreOffice is a great native Linux alternative. Wine can be quirky and hard to get to work, as you've already experienced. Linux is not Windows, and it was not made to run Windows programs... I highly recommend using Linux programs.

Luckily, some of the programs you may be used to (Firefox and Chrome web browsers, for example) have their own Linux versions to use. Check out the Software Manager in Linux Mint... you will find over 85,000 packages available in many common categories. There is even more software than that available, but sometimes you need to have a little more knowledge under your belt to get it working (like how to compile a program from source code).

Good luck!

Thank you everyone it was just when I tried to open my documents, which I had done on Office 2007 they were all over the place and Libre office didn't seem to have arial font on it. Everything else like pictures and music they all were fine. Which is why I tried to get open office, as when I looked it seemed like MS Office. Perhaps it is something I've done wrong I don't know. Atanere thank you for the additional information.

Thank you everyone it was just when I tried to open my documents, which I had done on Office 2007 they were all over the place and Libre office didn't seem to have arial font on it. Everything else like pictures and music they all were fine. Which is why I tried to get open office, as when I looked it seemed like MS Office. Perhaps it is something I've done wrong I don't know. Atanere thank you for the additional information.

Here is another example where the Software Manager can help you. Open it up (it will ask for your root password) and type in "microsoft" (without quotes) in the search box and hit Enter. I think the cursor is already in the search box when it opens. The second item down I think will be Ttf-mscorefonts-installer --- double-click on it and then click the Install button. It will show you a progress bar as it installs, and then when finished you will have a nice selection of Microsoft fonts, including Arial. :D

Here is another example where the Software Manager can help you. Open it up (it will ask for your root password) and type in "microsoft" (without quotes) in the search box and hit Enter. I think the cursor is already in the search box when it opens. The second item down I think will be Ttf-mscorefonts-installer --- double-click on it and then click the Install button. It will show you a progress bar as it installs, and then when finished you will have a nice selection of Microsoft fonts, including Arial. :D
Thank you

Members online

Latest posts