How can I make my own DNS server?

J

Jason Long

Hello Folks.
How can I make my own DNS server? I mean is that if I have a Static IP address and wants to launch my web site on my own DNS name and server, What should I do?
I don't like to buying Space from other providers and want to launch my own server.

Thanks.

Domain name and DNS records are made by the Registrar. Any Recorder allows you to edit A-record. Write there your IP.
For godaddy screen
screen.png

I am assuming you want to do it on Apache? I haven't done it on Apache (or any linux webserver), but I have set up my own nameservers on IIS. It's fairly simple and here is a link to get you going:

DNS Server Tutorial. Hope that helps! Here is another tutorial. :)

Thanks a lot.
Can I pay any money to Goddady for it? I mean is that for launch a Global DNS I must pay money to some services?

Your registrar is who you bought your domain name from. They "should" have some form of DNS for you to be able to point your domain to your custom nameservers. I have GoDaddy, and part of the cost of my domain name goes for the DNS services. Who is your registrar? I might be able to help you with setting up your DNS to point to your custom nameservers.

Thanks a lot.
Can I pay any money to Goddady for it? I mean is that for launch a Global DNS I must pay money to some services?
For top-level domain domains need to pay money.
And set your DNS-servers.
Goddady
screen.png

Your registrar is who you bought your domain name from. They "should" have some form of DNS for you to be able to point your domain to your custom nameservers. I have GoDaddy, and part of the cost of my domain name goes for the DNS services. Who is your registrar? I might be able to help you with setting up your DNS to point to your custom nameservers.

Thank you.
I register a Domain and it ask me to input my DNS server name like "ns1.example.org" but I want to know how can I run my own "ns1" DNS server? If I has an static IP address and install my Linux Box DNS, Can I set my own DNS name there? I want to know is any different exist between a local DNS configuration and Internet DNS configure?

Cheers.

Local DNS only local () A-record: IP=domain_name_com (no one knows about it)
Global DNS - at all PC
screen.png

For their dns requires 2 class C addresses
ns1_domainname_com 107.170.40.xxx
ns2_domainname_com 107.170.45.xxx

You have only one address.
Use the free ns servers of Goddady.
#1 Goddady -> DomainName Click -> Nameservers -> Manage -> Setup type: Standard -> SAVE
#2 Wait 2-3 minutes
#3 Click DNS ZONE FILE
#4 Click Add record -> RECORD TYPE = A(Host)
#5 Write your IP -> click FINISH
screen.png
1-2 days later your domain will point to your ip

Thanks a lot.
After it, I can provide Hosts to other users too?
Just Godaddy provide it or other NICs too?

The two tutorials shows you how to set up your own nameservers. After you set up your nameservers, you point your domain (or your clients domains) to that name server. You'll name your nameservers: ns1.yourdomainname.com and ns2.yourdomainname.com

Use your search engine and search "setting up custom nameservers on apache with bind". You set your custom nameservers on your server and then enter the information pointing your domain name to those nameservers on GoDaddy. It's two steps. One on your server and one on your DNS at GoDaddy.

I don't want to assume anything, but your server is in a data-center and not at home, right?

Thank you.
My Server is in home and not Data-Center.
You should check the EULA (End User License Agreement) and/or TOS (Terms of Service) for your Internet Provider. Many do not allow a server to be hosted at home, and especially if you are hosting a DNS server at home. There are Free DNS Servers available.

If you are also accessing your web server using ssh, make sure you disable root logins. Blackhat Hackers WILL attack your ssh server and most attempts will attempt root logins. Even if they properly guess the root password it will fail as if they entered the incorrect password, and they won't know it! It's fun to watch! ;^)

I also recommend Fail2ban to ban the IP address for a set amount of time after multiple failed attempts. I set mine to ban the IP address for 2 hours, after 3 failed attempts.

Some sort of Firewall is also recommended.

Members online