How can i make a Distro?

carroot

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I want to make my own Dİstro but i don't know how to start or where to. Thanks for helping me :=)

Hello @carroot,
Welcome to Linux.org forums.
There are may online tutorials you can follow. This one may be a good place to start.
And this one also.

Mm. LFS (Linux From Scratch) and Gentoo spring to mind. Neither are for the faint-hearted - you have to compile absolutely everything from the ground up, as you go (and that includes compiling the compiler itself, before you can even start!) - but one thing IS for sure.......by the time you've finished, you will have a more thorough understanding of a Linux distro (inside-out, upside-down AND back-to-front) in a way that 99% of Linux users never will.

And that includes me..!

Mike. ;)

Hello,
I want to make my own Dİstro but i don't know how to start or where to. Thanks for helping me :=)
There are numerous ways of making your own distro. Without knowing anything about what you wish to achieve, nor the capacity that you bring to the task, a few thoughts came to mind which may be of interest.

LFS is a very detailed way of creating a distribution, but it's very much a rule-governed method that the user/creator follows. Whilst it may suit what you want, it's best to understand that whilst explanations are given along the way with the instructions, there's a lack of flexibility and creativity because the user/creator is largely following rules strictly. If you are wanting to understand operating systems in greater depth which will give you more creative power, then you could have a look at: https://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page, to get more of an idea of what's required and then decide how far up the learning curve you are interested in going.

If you want to create a distro relatively quickly, you can use an existing manual for doing that like: https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live-manual/html/live-manual/index.en.html, and replace any logos that may be there with your own. This method allows you to include any manner of applications which would be specific to your distribution and presumably characterise it as bespoke.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts