Purchase Linux CDs / DVDs / Flash Drives at OSDisc.com

Welcome to Our Community

While Linux.org has been around for a while, we recently changed management and had to purge most of the content (including users). If you signed up before April 23rd, 2017 please sign up again. Thanks!

1. More ways to get the info! - we shoot all of our new original content out as well as random messages on Twitter and our newsletter!. Twitter | Newsletter
    Dismiss Notice

How can I game on Linux?

Discussion in 'Linux Gaming' started by GardenData61371, Jan 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

I tried AMD graphics driver once on Ubuntu 14.04 and it changed the resolution to 5000x5000, very small icons and stuff. The opensource drivers work well for my AMD GPU and APU, though.

(Log in to hide this advertisement)

2. rado84

rado84 Active Member

Laptops are not meant for games. As for the other thing - you just don't know how to make these games run in Linux. Not to mention some games even have native versions. Of the 4 Windows games I played in Linux, only one didn't run as expected. The other 3 ran a lot better than they ever did in Windows.

3. Condobloke

Condobloke Well-Known Member

4. TechnoJunky

TechnoJunky Member

In Rado's defense, "most" laptops aren't made for gaming. I too have a laptop, Dell Inspiron 5000. Sold as a "gaming" laptop. And yes JokerTux, there are going to be Windows games that don't run well on Linux or don't run at all on Linux. But you can no longer say that you can't game at all on Linux. There are many of those Windows games that run just as well on Linux now, either using Steam Play or WINE.

wizardfromoz and rado84 like this.
  5. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

Which one is the easiest to use, PlayonLinux or Wine? I would like to try installing Command & Conquer Generals again, didn't wok in the past.

6. TechnoJunky

TechnoJunky Member

From my experience PlayonLinux seems best. They use WINE and seem to have better help, IMHO. Also, you can have multiple versions of WINE using PlayonLinux. This game runs better on 1.3.1, so when launch it, it uses WINE 1.3.1, this game runs better on 1.24.3, so when it launches it uses that version. You do have to download each version of WINE that you're going to use but you setup the games to use the one you want.
    But don't rule out Steam and Steam Play for games you bought there. Many work great.

lekkerlinux likes this.
  7. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

I can see "playonlinux" in Synaptic. Will this also install Wine or do I have to first install Wine and then Playonlinux?

8. rado84

rado84 Active Member

Yes, it will install Wine but I for one prefer to install it manually because POL uses an old version, whereas the manual installation provides me with the latest stable Wine - 4.0.

lekkerlinux likes this.
  9. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

I far as I remember PlayonLinux shows you a lot of options from the Command & Conquer series, but not the Generals version. I checked out some you tube video's about that game running on Linux, as well as some articles and it was slow a lot of the time. Warzone 2100 might be a better open source alternative.

I will look at my options, but will try out Cube 2 Sauerbraten first, because it's in Synaptic and might install easily.

I have 0 A.D. anyway, that's not to bad for a open source RTS game.

#29 lekkerlinux, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. rado84

rado84 Active Member

lekkerlinux likes this.
  11. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

lekkerlinux likes this.
  12. rado84

rado84 Active Member

@wizardfromoz , Lutris is useless. None of the games there ever run, no matter how they were installed - that includes using the community scripts. Whereas the most of the games I tried with SteamPlay ran without any problem.

13. wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz Super Moderator
    Staff Member Gold Supporter

Thanks for the input, Rado

Wizard

14. lekkerlinux

lekkerlinux Member

Just a little trivial feedback. I installed Warzone2100 form the software center (in Lubuntu 18.04) and it froze my whole system. The I installed a later version of the same game using snap installer and it worked flawlessly.

I also left antialiasing off when playing this game, on the second never version.

I guess I will never know what did the trick.

#34 lekkerlinux, Apr 18, 2019 at 2:10 AM
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 9:59 AM