Host your own website (Help needed)

elz

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I am needing help.

My company is wanting to host there website, and I have been tasked with learning how to host it.
What is the best storage system and how is the best way to host both the webpage and the email.

Thank you in advance.

Well since this is a Linux site obviously the way to go about it first develop the web site locally on Linux (preferably slackware ) . until you have things working on localhost there is not much point hosting it live. Its much easier working locally to change code rather than trying to do an edit via cpanel.

Now you say your company wants to "host" their web site but have they got one ready to host ?

So is your company using python or php or asp in its web site.

Now hosting is a bit of a bone of contention ; i've used mainstream and i found them to be totally rubbish.
Now here is the thing let me give you a metaphor if i had a really solid three wheeler car or a jaguar of which the electrics were dodgy it leaks oil and it sounds like the engine is about to cease up , would you choose the "on he surface" swanky jaguar or the 3 wheeler ?

So their is vps ,the cloud but high % uptime, none moody and helpful tech support is important.

So i can;t really be more specific unless your more specific or is the company web site a vision or work in progress then i can give you a few hints. Can you code yourself in anyway?

Well since this is a Linux site obviously the way to go about it first develop the web site locally on Linux (preferably slackware ) . until you have things working on localhost there is not much point hosting it live. Its much easier working locally to change code rather than trying to do an edit via cpanel.

Now you say your company wants to "host" their web site but have they got one ready to host ?

So is your company using python or php or asp in its web site.

Now hosting is a bit of a bone of contention ; i've used mainstream and i found them to be totally rubbish.
Now here is the thing let me give you a metaphor if i had a really solid three wheeler car or a jaguar of which the electrics were dodgy it leaks oil and it sounds like the engine is about to cease up , would you choose the "on he surface" swanky jaguar or the 3 wheeler ?

So their is vps ,the cloud but high % uptime, none moody and helpful tech support is important.

So i can;t really be more specific unless your more specific or is the company web site a vision or work in progress then i can give you a few hints. Can you code yourself in anyway?

we had a coder and our website is now on wordpress.

And now we wish to host the website ourselves instead of using third parties

ok that helps , by the way (this is just my dry humour) if you had somebody that used Wordpress they were probably not a coder since its mainly mouse left click click ! if they were a coder they would probably have done a laravel codeigniter use Java Servlets or something else .

Wordpress uses php (albeit in a form which is an abomination) so thats probably good news for you
almost all hosting can handle Wordpress and many sites via cpanel can even set up a wordpress site from which you tweak pages .

I would if i were you download Wordpress to play with on your personal pc in a generic way so you get familiar and used to the ins and outs.

if you have a Linux pc i can give you hints to make local dev simple .Its then only a case of a few tweaks to transfer to live.

When you download W.P it, it will all be contained in a directory ; first mistake some make is the try to upload everything including the container directory up to the hosting . If it didn't unpack into a direcvtory there would be bits all over the place.

Don't make that mistake , zip everything INSIDE your dev directory to hostng because to put it simply YOUR hosting space will be contained in a directory something like public_html and that basically takes the place of the 'container" directory that you had on your own PC.

other wise instead of seeing your website at say http://somedomain.com you would have to use
the above with a trailing dirName

So you have a wide choice of hosting. The trouble looking at reviews is that they are paid by the hosting to write the reviews.

Its actually quite easy to install w.p , it will need a MySQL or Maria database for live so make sure your hosting comes with a d.b.

basically if you can get it going on your P.C you can get it going live. Now one word of warning W.P is probably the most hacked php system because click , click merchants don't code so they don't know about csrf and general precautions against hacking.

Are you using a linux PC ? if not would you like to start ? Most of the servers for old style hosting use Linux so its an advantage if you know a little . For instance you will see file permissions 644 and directories 755 .If you just use Windows that might faze you.

Anything remotely Linux is ok here i think .. even they get away talking about Rock and Roll as long as there was a suggestion they used Linux chip based mixing tables; at least thats my assumption ?

Anyway investigate hosting etc feel free to ask questions

Last edited:
Reactions: elz
When you say.. host it "ourself". Hardware is onsite at your location?
Are you thinking of using a hosted provider? (Azure, AWS, etc.. )
If you are doing this locally at your own site, you'll need a public IP address from your ISP.
You'll also probably want DNS if you don't have it.

Finally what are your expectations of the website? What do you want it to do? (at a high level)

It sound more like your company wants a webpage and wants you to be webmaster. Is this what is happening?

If so, and unless you like Wordpress, and you know little about php, I'd suggest ditching Wordpress and going with Weebly, especially if your company is in a hurry.

captainsensible understandabl suggests slackware, since it tis probably the most stable GNU/Linux server distro out there.

Alpine Linux is another -- secure for email

dos2unix asks vital questions that mus be answered

I'm just saying make it easy on yourself at first (look good) and grow from there!

Last edited:
Are you looking for a company to provide web hosting? If so I would take a look at SiteGround. Are you looking for a server to run your web site. I would suggest Apache. I have written a CGI library package in C, but I can't release it until I register the copyright. I'm still waiting for the US Copyright office to wake up from their nap. You really don't need WordPress. You need a good text editor and the W3C validators.

@sp331yi no I mostly try and mention so it doesn't totally get forgotten :^). User numbers have drastically reduced over the years.

I agree -- "Let's not forget Slackware! It IS the oldest active GNU/Linux distro, today!"
AND perhaps the stablest server distro on the planet.
---------------------------------------------------------
ASIDE Slackware is easy to install compared to straight Debian (and why would I want systemd, anyway, if I don't need it?)

=========================
HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY, Everyone!

Well i use slackware (current) exclusively and at least help maintain one pkg for slackbuids.org thats all i have time for at the moment. Back on thread O.P hasn't returned but on hosting why take the stress of having a companies own server when there is ample choice -i've heard good things about siteground @Trenix25 but for my minor projects it was a tad pricy.

Staff online

Members online