Hiding content from users on forums (not here)

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
I banned myself from a movie forum because that got under my skin.
I found a way for some forums to hide content from users I don't like and/or I can't block for some reason using uBlock Origin - when they're moderators or admins.

For a phpbb3 it's a little tricky but generally goes like this:
Code:
www.domainname.net##.post.has-profile:has([id^="post_hidden"][class="ignore"])
and if you wanna hide content from an admin or moderator:

Code:
www.domainname.com##.responsive-hide [class^="username"]:has-text(Zeroadhesion):upward(.post)
where the text in the brackets is the username (the brackets after has-text).

For an IPB forum:

for ignored users (bc ignored content is still displayed, though not fully):
Code:
www.kaldata.com##.ipsComment_ignored

for "advanced" users like admins or moderators:
Code:
www.kaldata.com##ipsProfile_370533
where the numbers after ipsProfile are the ID number of their profile.

That way if someone's bothering you, you can trash them, even if they're the admin of the forum. :D

The good news is that I haven't come across any toxic users here, so I never needed to search for such ways to block users on this forum. :)

I found a way for some forums to hide content from users I don't like and/or I can't block for some reason using uBlock Origin - when they're moderators or admins.

Code:

Code:
www.domainname.com##.responsive-hide [class^="username"]:has-text(Zeroadhesion):upward(.post)

For an IPB forum:

Code:

Code:

That way if someone's bothering you, you can trash them, even if they're the admin of the forum. :D

The good news is that I haven't come across any toxic users here, so I never needed to search for such ways to block users on this forum. :)
where are you putting that code though? Is it an operating system file or something you add to firefox?

Mouse over their username and there's an 'ignore' option.

Code:

Code:

For an IPB forum:

Code:

Code:

I didn't mean to be insulting, I just think blocking a moderator/administrator is funny and probably not a great idea in the long run. If the forum is secure, you're also going to have to make a new email, not great in the long run.

Mouse over their username and there's an 'ignore' option.
And what do you do when the admin or the moderator is a dick who keeps insulting you against the forum rules and is protected from being blocked by you? That's where hiding all of his content comes into play.

And what do you do when the admin or the moderator is a dick who keeps insulting you against the forum rules and is protected from being blocked by you? That's where hiding all of his content comes into play.
It's even worse when the admin is letting someone else insult you and isn't fallowing the forum rules.

Not much. I don't know if you can even hide their posts with the ignore function, nor am I sure you should. If it has reached that point, you may just end up having to find a new forum (or figure out how to cope, or maybe taking it up with the site's owner if that's an option).

If it's me, just reach out to me. I don't insult people, though I've had people mistake my tone for derision or the likes. Though I'm verbose, I'm not always as clear as I could be and tone isn't always easy to see in text format communications.

@KGIII , I wasn't talking about this forum in particular. Surprisingly enough, none of the staff or the users here behaves even remotely bad, so there's no need for me to block anyone. But on other forums there are plently of such people. Especially a few Bulgarian forums whose admins and users are dicks. Like this Bulgarian forum, for instance:

AJdTaSQ.png

Some of the users are too toxic, the admin doesn't care what happens in the forum, the moderators insult everyone without punishment bc the admin doesn't care. And if I wanna get a non-toxic help (whenever I need help with whatever), I gotta block the toxic users (this image above is my list of ignored regular users). But some time ago IPB made content from ignored users to still appear in a topic, just not the whole thing, so I resorted to completely hiding their content - the way it should be. And since IPB won't let me block a moderator, I gotta block the moderators using uBlock Origin.

That's why I shared my way to make any forum a more pleasant place. How will anyone use that way, it's not my concern.

so I resorted to completely hiding their content - the way it should be.

Yeah, you might as well at that point. If they're really all that bad, there might be enough people willing to join a different/replacement forum. I've seen that happen a few times.

What exactly does a FORUM administrator do? My understanding is that they are the ones with all the control, and are often the one's who program the forum (like The Wizard, hi there!). I've been on forums where the administrator was also a moderator, which must be pretty damn difficult.

An admin is also able to moderate. An admin is pretty much root, able to change forum settings and the likes. A moderator doesn't have any of those powers, we can only manage users and front end stuff like making a post disappear or making it stay stickied. We can ban people and apply warnings, but our power is limited to just some functions.

rado84, thank you for posting this even though I am having trouble understanding it since it seems like the command line interface to me that I could never learn but get attacked for it. I wish there was an easier way. This would come in handy because I find in many forums all over the Internet that the biggest violators of forum rules that the rulers never get enforced on them are the ones that created those rules.​

Members online

Latest posts