hi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

billy chang

Reaction score
Credits
im kinduva not-that-new noobie but ive tried to run several different versions of linux on various different machines & inevitably either one of two things will happen: either it doesnt even install at all or if it does then it wont run...

furthermore..microsoft gets 2415* smarter between each new version of linux...they wont even let me run bochs ffs...sure theirs many hacks on the internet that claim to solve the problem but their already obsolete by the time it gets published...

im not joking im seriously contemplating suicide bcos of this...my only regret is that i never got to use linux...

thx...
✌️billy

G'day billy, and Welcome to Linux.org

Choose one machine to use and one Linux distro to put on it.....(hopefully something straightforward like Linux mint)....give us the specs of the machine, and someone here will sort it out for you.

either it doesnt even install at all or if it does then it wont run...

✌️billy

This is very perplexing.

I have installed Linux literally hundreds of times, dozens and dozens of different distros, on many, many different computers and have never had it 'not run'.

Perhaps if you provide some more info about your setup someone can help you get it running?

the only thing i can think of is bcos ur u & im me ☹️ but theres no error msgs of any kind...

unfortunately its not that simple...i live in the amazon and download is a dirty word around here...it wuld cost at least $100 to download a linux & im obvsly hesitant to spend that much $$$ given the experience ive had in the past...

but it gets even more interesting bcos as it turns out that the bochs that didnt run wasnt the latest version of bochs...but when i went to get the update they wuldnt let me download it ("prohibited on this device" -- BY WHOM??)...obvsly theres some very powerful political entities that are sitting very hard on this or at least on me...

Last edited:
unfortunately its not that simple...i live in the amazon and download is a dirty word around here...it wuld cost at least $100 to download a linux & im obvsly hesitant to spend that much $$$ given the experience ive had in the past...

but it gets even more interesting bcos as it turns out that the bochs that didnt run wasnt the latest version of bochs...but when i went to get the update they wuldnt let me download it ("prohibited on this device" -- BY WHOM??)...obvsly theres some very powerful political that are sitting very hard on this or at least on me...
It don't get any easier than this.

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux

ZomboMeme 26032019001740.jpg

sorry about the meltdown but naturally an answer just popped out of the blue

Last edited:
That's OK, Billy, we can only begin to understand your frustration, but I have had to delete a Post, as this is a family site, you'll understand.

@poorguy 's advice above may be your best bet (likely is :)).

Telling us your computer brand name and model number and any specs on it would help - we have helped solve many problems, and we have the Members to show for it, just take a wander around the site.

Also expand more on your first paragraph in your OP (OP= original post, also original Poster, which is you).

When, what machines, what Linux Distributions (Distros), were there errors then, you name it.

The more we know, the more we can pin down the problem/s.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

This is very perplexing.

I have installed Linux literally hundreds of times, dozens and dozens of different distros, on many, many different computers and have never had it 'not run'.

Perhaps if you provide some more info about your setup someone can help you get it running?

when u did these installs, had any of the machines actually been turned on beforehand, or were they all out of the box with the first power-up on linux install USB? thx

when u did these installs, had any of the machines actually been turned on beforehand, or were they all out of the box with the first power-up on linux install USB? thx
They were all used machines. Some were quite old and I was installing some version of Linux on them in an effort to breath new life into them.

They were all used machines. Some were quite old and I was installing some version of Linux on them in an effort to breath new life into them.

ok thx...w/ that info i can hazard a guess that those machines prolly predate linux-proofing...

the machines that i was talking about in my OP were dell inspiron 3xxx and toshiba sattelite 52xx laptops & one HP desktop...this was back in 2011-2012...

the system i have now is a lenovo 300 series very similar to the earlier machines above....

ive contacted lenovo & what they said was quite interesting: FOA theres no "microsoft conspiracy" (but that still doesnt excuse windows).. but rather that the laptop vendors are blocking their machines from installing linux bcos the mfrs simply cannot provide tech support for all these different versions of linux...& if their unable to provide tech support they may be sued for negligence...

apptly the only way to get around it is to re-flash the BIOS ROM...i asked them if i culd download it & they said i cant bcos the machine had already been turned on and as such the installation wuld be illegal (but not criminal)...

they did say, however that its possible to purchase a special-order system w/o the warranty & tech support at the normal price that can be re-flashed...it might be poss to order it thru one of the local computer stores too...

the machines that i was talking about in my OP were dell inspiron 3xxx and toshiba sattelite 52xx laptops & one HP desktop...this was back in 2011-2012...

the system i have now is a lenovo 300 series very similar to the earlier machines above....
Hmm I have installed Linux on many Dell Inspiron and Toshiba laptops without any problems.

Certain Lenovo computers are problematic when trying to install Linux on them.

What's with the bochs? :confused:o_O
What does this have to do with Linux or installing Linux? :confused:o_O

http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bochs

ok thx...w/ that info i can hazard a guess that those machines prolly predate linux-proofing...

ive contacted lenovo & what they said was quite interesting: FOA theres no "microsoft conspiracy" (but that still doesnt excuse windows).. but rather that the laptop vendors are blocking their machines from installing linux bcos the mfrs simply cannot provide tech support for all these different versions of linux...& if their unable to provide tech support they may be sued for negligence...

apptly the only way to get around it is to re-flash the BIOS ROM...i asked them if i culd download it & they said i cant bcos the machine had already been turned on and as such the installation wuld be illegal (but not criminal)...

they did say, however that its possible to purchase a special-order system w/o the warranty & tech support at the normal price that can be re-flashed...it might be poss to order it thru one of the local computer stores too...

Well, I know I have installed Linux on many Toshiba, Dell, Acer, Gateway, and HP laptops.
One Acer gave me a bit of trouble but it was a matter of tweaking the BIOS to enable wiping the drive and starting fresh.

In my opinion the customer support you spoke to at Lenovo is full of FUD!
While it is likely true that installing an alternative operating system on a NEW laptop which is STILL under warranty will 'void' the warranty, that is the owners decision to make. It is perfectly understandable that they cannot provide support in such a scenario.

I find it very interesting that a re-flash of the BIOS ROM would be required. In my experience adjusting a few settings in the BIOS setup has always worked.
There is certainly nothing 'illegal' about it - as long as it is your machine.

If you care to provide some detailed information perhaps someone can help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I find it very interesting that a re-flash of the BIOS ROM would be required. In my experience adjusting a few settings in the BIOS setup has always worked.
Agreed.

Well, I know I have installed Linux on many Toshiba, Dell, Acer, Gateway, and HP laptops.
One Acer gave me a bit of trouble but it was a matter of tweaking the BIOS to enable wiping the drive and starting fresh.

While it is likely true that installing an alternative operating system on a NEW laptop which is STILL under warranty will 'void' the warranty, that is the owners decision to make. It is perfectly understandable that they cannot provide support in such a scenario.

If you care to provide some detailed information perhaps someone can help. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

its illegal bcos once u accept the EULA & enter windows that system legally becomes the property of microsoft...like most customers i just did click-click-click w/o thinking bout the legal ramifications. ...so no u dont have a legal right to install linux on that system once uve accepted the EULA (but its not a crime either) ...but thats not what keeps linux from running...

& i do owe microsoft an apology bcos this time its not their fault...i never thought about that tech support thing...my bad...

Last edited:
its illegal bcos once u accept the EULA & enter windows that system legally becomes the property of microsoft...like most customers i just did click-click-click w/o thinking bout the legal ramifications. ...so no u dont have a legal right to install linux on that system once uve accepted the EULA (but its not a crime either) ...but thats not what keeps linux from running...

& i do owe microsoft an apology bcos this time its not their fault...i never thought about that tech support thing...my bad...

Are you serious.
Are you that naive.

Take the time to read the EULA. The software belongs to Microsoft not machine.

And yes, I'm one of those weirdos who actually reads End User License Agreements ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online