Hi from New Zealnad

D

Darren Hale

Hi,

From Christchurch New Zealand,

I started out in Linux about 15 years ago using Red Hat Linux and then onto countless others comming to Debian then slackware and then Puppy Linux on and off. Because I have an old desktop I got to liking the Puppy Linux 4 Series and decided to make an updated version of Puppy Linux 4.12 and that grew into Anitaos a fork with some Debian packages and other updates basically I provide the basic barebones Iso with other software to build your own DIY OS hosted on Google drive. Anyway here I am - so Helllo all.

Darren

Last edited:

Hey Darren!

I started out in Linux about 15 years ago(...)
I wish i could say that!!!

ps.: I believe you're on the exact opposite of me in the globe!!! :)
Have fun!

(@Virnetto
Point of information... The website antipodr tells you what's on the other side of the world. The opposite of Christchurch NZ is NW Spain. The opposite of the Azores is nearer Australia than NZ. )

(@Virnetto
Point of information... The website antipodr tells you what's on the other side of the world. The opposite of Christchurch NZ is NW Spain. The opposite of the Azores is nearer Australia than NZ. )
??
I guess I'll correct it then and just say:
I believe you're somewhere near the exact opposite of me in the globe!

Put this way some people say we are at the bottom of the world however if you look at us while standing on your head well..............

Apart from that my geography isn't that great.

Welcome to the community buddy..i hope you are having a great time out here at this forum..so just looking forward to an enjoyable stay of yours here.

Welcome to the community buddy..i hope you are having a great time out here at this forum..so just looking forward to an enjoyable stay of yours here.
Thank you ShonnaDeem I am looking forward to it.

Great..so howz weather up there..i have always intrigued by this country..which city you belong to back in the country.

I live in Christchurch in the South Island of New Zealand the weather is quite mild with quite a lot of sunshine - believe it or not it is winter. You probably heard about our earthquakes a few years ago the picture for my avatar is what is left of the Christchurch Cathedral.

The Weather is quite English sometimes - quite damp in winter.

Welcome to the forums! Always good to see a fellow foreigner around!

Darren,
You mentioned steam computing. Are you referring to using ancient/antique technology, or is there another meaning to that phrase? I tried loading 14.0 on the 1.2 ghz athlon I use as my main netware client, but it would not complete the load. SIGH! I have an old "E" machine with a 2.88ghz celeron that I may try next, just for fun!
Paul
VP9KS / WA1WJB

Darren,
You mentioned steam computing. Are you referring to using ancient/antique technology, or is there another meaning to that phrase? I tried loading 14.0 on the 1.2 ghz athlon I use as my main netware client, but it would not complete the load. SIGH! I have an old "E" machine with a 2.88ghz celeron that I may try next, just for fun!
Paul
VP9KS / WA1WJB

Yes Steam computing is my term for old stuff or retro computers and computing in general - you are most welcome to try out Anitaos on my Anitaos thread here http://www.linux.org/threads/anitaos-a-diy-distro-you-build-it-yourself.4401/

Darren

Darren,
So what do you do for a living down under?
I did 20 years in the military as a tech. I worked on radar first, but decided computers would be more fun and changed jobs. Worked on everything from Apple 2 and ibm Pcs, minicomputers like the An/UYK-20 & 44, the AN/UYK-7 in multiple flavours, to the VAX-11/780, along with all the peripherals. I retired in 1991 and went to work in the private sector on high speed industrial robotics, where I am to this day. I just got rid of a bunch of old machines that ran OS2 Warp on a Windows network. It was a bit of a challenge to get them to play well together, don't ya know! I also like to dabble with Basic stamp projets, both at work and at home. I have embedded a couple in the old machines, much to the chagrin of the manufacturers.

Nothing to do with computers I'm afraid - Liquor Dept at a Super Market and computing is a hobby. My brother used OS2 it is cool.

Daren,
I was looking around for a system to use on my old Compac Presario V5101US and came upon Puppy. I love it! I burned a cd and use it to load the system into memory. I don't even need a hard drive in the computer. It is a great way to surf safely, with no worries of getting a virus on the computer, because all is lost when I shut down. i am currently using Slacko Puppy 5.7.0-PAE and it does everything I want.

Paul

Members online

Latest posts