Hi from New Zealnad

Daren,
I was looking around for a system to use on my old Compac Presario V5101US and came upon Puppy. I love it! I burned a cd and use it to load the system into memory. I don't even need a hard drive in the computer. It is a great way to surf safely, with no worries of getting a virus on the computer, because all is lost when I shut down. i am currently using Slacko Puppy 5.7.0-PAE and it does everything I want.

Paul

It is nice to have you back! I hope you enjoy the many new articles.:D

Yes I have played with Slacko it is pretty solid, probably more so than the Precise version.

Of course if you want to you can make a save file to keep your settings and just as you are doing boot from cd.

Yes I have played with Slacko it is pretty solid, probably more so than the Precise version.

Of course if you want to you can make a save file to keep your settings and just as you are doing boot from cd.
Yeah, I thought of just writing the save file to the live cd, and there is more than likely enough room, but I think that I will just re-burn it after I have it set up the way I want it. And, yes, the slacko distro seems to be more user friendly than the full version, although I am still exploring that angle. The stack of drive caddies is still growing, but that is allright, because I still have more old drives in a the closet, LMAO.

It is nice to have you back! I hope you enjoy the many new articles.:D
Sorry about being "missing in action" for so long. I have been working a hockey-sock full of overtime. We (3 of us) had to remove 43 machines running OS2 WARP, and replace them with 28 MUCH FASTER machines running WIN XP, convert them to WIN7 Enterprise edition, and then convert all the other desktop and machine computers in the entire plant to Win 7 Enterprise edition. When you consider that the production floor is the area of about 4 football fields, and production never stopped during this time, it took a wee bit of time to accomplish. And, of course, murphy showed his face a few(?) times. Kinda like changing all of the tires on a bus driving down the Interstate at 70+ mph, don't ya know.

Yes Steam computing is my term for old stuff or retro computers and computing in general - you are most welcome to try out Anitaos on my Anitaos thread here http://www.linux.org/threads/anitaos-a-diy-distro-you-build-it-yourself.4401/

Darren
Darren,
I recently acquired a 4 port usb KVM switch so that I could clear up some space on the desk. I was surprised to find that although tho old 900mhz machine that I sometimes use (BC133 motherboard) accepted a usb keyboard in its bios, the e machine, which is light years ahead in technology, does not. Not to worry, I just attached the kvm switch anyway, and left an old ps2 keyboard and mouse connected just to satisfy the bios. They are stacked on top of it, under the desk, and I use the usb keyboard and mouse anyway. Ya just gotta learn to trick them confounded computers to get them to do what you want! Anyway I now have all four computers on the switch, and much more desk space for other stuff! Like my old notebook computer, I can just slide it from side to side, depending on what I want to play with! I also have them connected to a 8 port network switch. That leaves 1 port for connection to the router, one for the notebook, and 2 for future expansion. Works like a champ. (the drive caddies are starting to get out of hand though, they are multiplying like rabbits!)

Awesome job
Daren,
I was experimenting with the dual core, and found out that it will indeed boot from usb. The option does not appear in the bios unless a usb stick is plugged in when I boot and enter the bios screen. That gives me many more options, although it is nowhere near as fast as booting from the hard drive.

Ciao for now
Paul

Not sure how I managed to screw that up so badly, but it must be my gift!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts