Hi everyone

Walthair14

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone,

Working in the industrial automation field, I became more and more curious about how computers work. So I decided to install a transparent operating system - Linux - first to understand how it's made, and then learn some basic programming.
As a beginner I found it very difficult to find clear and organized information. Numerous sites / forums have a lot of content but it's difficult to part out of date from up to date information. Then I landed here and found a tutorial forum well administrated and some other interesting answers to my questions.
So, even if I don't know if I'm going to be really active, I decided to sign in a least to thank the team and the contributors who helped me.

Hello @Walthair14! Welcome to the community here! What started your interest in GNU/Linux?

G'day @Walthair14 - enjoy your Linux journeys. :)

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'm going to be really active

Hop on in, the water's warm.

(I peed in it.)

Nah, we're a pretty easygoing bunch. Most of us appreciate those who want to learn more than those who just want to be told some magical incantation that repairs their box of mystery.

Hello @Walthair14! Welcome to the community here! What started your interest in GNU/Linux?

As I said I work in industrial automation, and I wanted to try ROS (Robot Operating System), a framework designed for robot control. So I went on the web site, then clicked on Get ROS thinking I would just need to download a .exe, but finally I reached a page with lines such as:
Code:
sudo apt install ros-melodic-desktop-full
sudo apt install ros-melodic-desktop
sudo apt install ros-melodic-ros-base
Then I realized I wouldn't be able to do it on my Windows system, so I decided to install Linux on my desktop computer to try it. But as I hate doing things that I don't understand (like just typing "invocations" in a terminal), I first try to understand how Linux works, what seems to me far more complicated than programming robot. But the bright side is, it's also far less dangerous, when I make a +/- error in a robot program the machine tries to go out the fence, endommaging the fence, the robot and my reputation in the factory. When I make a mistake in a script the worst thing I encoutered, so far, was a beep from my computer. So maybe I'm going to change job and reorient my career toward IT, unless you tell me that your computers already try to kill you... (or the users ;) )

Last edited:
Well said (no, Linux won't kill you) and thanks for your input to the Man Pages tutorial.

Wizard

Welcome @Walthair14
unlike M$ there is no magic in linux, its all available for you to view, to tweek, or just use, I am not very good on the command line myself, [I am more a hardware man] but after getting on for 20 yrs of playing with and then permanently using various Distributions, I haven't managed to kill any of my boxes, I have made a few sick, but the cure with the help of forums like this has been quick and painless,
Bwiz

Welcome aboard enjoy the learning journey..

Staff online