Here I am

UldSkull

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I recently felt the need to replace Windows by a Linux distro, so, here I am.

I don't know what to say except that I like to play music on y computer. I'm used to play on FLStudio. And I played on it for about 10 years, I think.

I'm on the way to become an IT engineer, so I have, for more and more currently, to use Linux. And I plan to install ubuntu on my GF computer.

Thx for your attention

UldSkull

Hello UldSkull, and welcome. If FLStudio is Windows-only, it is not likely to work on Linux. But there are often other software programs that can fill your needs. For artistic creation, including music, you might want to take a look at Ubuntu Studio instead of the standard Ubuntu (or its many other flavors).

Cheers

Thx !

That's why I want to have Linux and windows on a dual-boot. :)

Salud !

Thx for all that !

I have a flstudio "for life" licence, so I will not abandon it. But i'am curious, so I'll try Ardour and LMMS, I promise.

But first I have to succed to install Ubuntu or Mint !

@Condobloke and I both use Linux Mint, but different versions. Mint, Ubuntu, and a few others (like MX Linux and Manjaro) are very popular and good for new Linux users. It's good to try some out by running in "live mode" from a DVD or USB flash drive before installing as dual boot with Windows. They run a little slower that way, but you can see which appeals to you more, and which ones seem to work best with your computer hardware (sound, wireless, etc).

G'day @UldSkull and welcome to linux.org :)

Just to identify your wants and needs, on the one hand you have

I recently felt the need to replace Windows by a Linux distro, so, here I am.

and then

That's why I want to have Linux and windows on a dual-boot. :)

If your current computer is UEFI-capable, then an alternative option is WUBI-UEFI. Latest versions now support Ubuntu Studio as well.

Let us know first if you know if your computer is UEFI rather than just BIOS, or if not sure, model and specs would be handy, and what version of Windows you are running. Then I can expand on WUBI.

Stan, what think you? If we go on with this Thread, it becomes more of a Support Thread and is better situated in Getting Started. The OP (original poster, that's you @UldSkull ) can always return here with a general Intro and to meet some of The Gang :p

Cheers all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Condobloke I've tried Mint and Ubuntu with and USB stick, I'm looking forward to try Porteus, too.

@wizardfromoz Thx ! My first "hand" is a language abuse. I don't want to totally replace Windows. Not for now. Maybe in a few months. :) Sorry for the confusion :p

My computer is UEFI capable, so what is WUBI-UEFI ? My motherboard is a ASUS PRIME Z270-P , and I run W10 home, so you can expand on WUBI. But maybe there :)

It is an honnor to be the OP. :cool:

When you say : "can always return here with a general Intro and to meet some of The Gang :p" There are two things that wake up my attention :
- Do I have to write a better intro ? If it's needed, I can ! I just wrote this one to be polite.
- There is ... a GANG ? o_O Do you wear same color clothes and bandanas ?

You're going to fit in fine ... sense of humour.

I have to scoot over to Rock Roxx and post some music, then off for my evening in Oz (Australia), back tomorrow on WUBI

Cheers

Wiz

@UldSkull has already got you covered, Chris! :D

Noted, thanks Stan :)

I had missed that, and we can focus our attention there, and leave this as is.

- There is ... a GANG ? o_O Do you wear same color clothes and bandanas ?

A number of us are in our 60s and 70s, but if you find a blazer or jacket that says linux.org and the clothes are age-agnostic, I am sure we could organise a fashion parade on the cyber catwalk?

I take extra-extra-large.

Cheers

Wiz

Have a nice evening, here we are
A number of us are in our 60s and 70s, but if you find a blazer or jacket that says linux.org and the clothes are age-agnostic, I am sure we could organise a fashion parade on the cyber catwalk?
Wiz
Just a matter of time and geography!