Help!

kvnc72

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, I am thinking of installing linux on my computer. Do you think my computer is suitable for this?
Windows 7 nihai 64 bit SP 1
Intel core i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 4,0GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 3000

Yes

G'day kvnc, Welcome to linux.org

In your next post, translate your Turkish language to English

Google Translate

OK. is my computer absolutely suitable for linux ? I want to be sure.

64 bit

I believe it is.

Wait for more answers to absolutely put your mind at rest.

i've installed Linux on PC's with a lot less that that and you have a least 64 bit cpu.

The next thought is going to be which Linux and how you are going to play with Linux distro before you take the plunge. What the size of the hard drive ?

My previous home NAS system use to run on that, was able to run it with no trouble.

Why not remove any doubt you have by creating a bootable media device USB flash drive or the old fashion reliable DVD and give Linux a test drive and then you will know for certain.

Hello everyone, I am thinking of installing linux on my computer. Do you think my computer is suitable for this?
Windows 7 nihai 64 bit SP 1
yes

I have an 8yr old Laptop...i5 CPU 64bit 500HDD 4GB of Ram and integrated Graphics. It's had several versions of Linux Mint Cinnamon and now it has Linux Lite 4.8, runs very well but would run much faster if I replaced the HDD with an SSD.

:) :) @kvnc72 G'day and welcome to linux.org

I have a Compaq Presario C300 laptop, from around December 2005.

It has only 512 MB RAM, a 60 GB Hard Drive, and I have successfully run 4 Linux on it side by side, each of them performing better than the Windows XP it shipped with. So my answer is a simple

YES

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

but would run much faster if I replaced the HDD with an SSD.

That makes a huge difference - as will more RAM. Your laptop is only 8 years old, so it probably will take more RAM.

As for the OP, of course Linux will run on it. You can even get distros that run on very limited hardware. There's everything from DSL (Damn Small Linux) to distros that include everything plus the kitchen sink. There's probably a version of Linux that you could theoretically install on your TV remote.

That makes a huge difference - as will more RAM. Your laptop is only 8 years old, so it probably will take more RAM.

Adding more Ram and an SSD would make a big difference but as I use my Tower 99% of the time, it's not worth the trouble. :)

Members online