Help with Windows USB wifi adapter

Mr Soul

Reaction score
Credits
Im new to Linux. Running Linux Mint Cinnamon latest ver. off a external HD from my Windows PC. Everything works as far as I can tell, but I have an old desktop that runs ethernet. Im on the other side of the house and cannot reach the router. I also am not able to move it to where I am (if i do there's no wifi for anyone in the house) so I bought an adapter. I went into Firefox to see what I could do, only to be greeted with the fact that I cannot access anything online. It works fine on Windows, and has its own software so I can use it, but I want to install WINE so I can use the adapter on Linux, but I don't think I can since I have to download it via terminal, and I have no internet. Thus bringing me here. Is Linux on this old thing a lost cause because of my wifi? or is there an offline version of WINE I can install with everything updated I can use, so I can run the .exe, installing the necessary files so I can run my adapter. The adapter itself is a ASUS AC53 Nano. The only versions I can install software for are Windows 10 - 7, and mac.

Can you give us the output of
Code:
ip link
?

Can you give us the output of
Code:
ip link
?

1: lo: <LOOPBACK, UP, LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group DEFAULT qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2. enol: <NO-CARRIER, BROADCAST, MULTICAST, UP> mtu 1500 qdisc fq_codel state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
link/ether 24:be:05:1b:af:40 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

Code:
lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 258a:0016
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 058f:6387 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Drive
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0d8c:0134 C-Media Electronics, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0a5c:21e8 Broadcom Corp. BCM20702A0 Bluetooth 4.0
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:184c ASUSTek Computer, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1532:0037 Razer USA, Ltd
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

If you can connect to your router with ethernet, then open a terminal and enter:
Code:
ubuntu-drivers devices
Then copy/paste the results here.

If you can connect to your router with ethernet, then open a terminal and enter:
Code:
ubuntu-drivers devices
Then copy/paste the results here.
I tried to do it, but when I did it just shot down a line. think it executed but there was no output

I tried to do it, but when I did it just shot down a line. think it executed but there was no output
Perhaps that was your Terminal "I-beam" cursor?
After you type in that command and hit "Enter" the cursor will drop down to the next line and sit there for a while as the command is executing.
Try it again but wait several minutes for the command to finish.

Perhaps that was your Terminal "I-beam" cursor?
After you type in that command and hit "Enter" the cursor will drop down to the next line and sit there for a while as the command is executing.
Try it again but wait several minutes for the command to finish.
waited about 20 min, still same thing. it seems like it tries to execute, then just stops, because when i hit it, it drops down a line and its empty, but then it just becomes another prompt line. idk maybe i just cant use linux on this

I was going to mention that if it returns to the prompt the command finished.
My guess would be that the command did not find any "ubuntu-drivers".
That would seem the most logical conclusion. Otherwise it may throw up an error of some sort.

I have a micro USB wifi adapter I use in my laptop which works very well running under Linux (Linux Mint - based off Ubuntu). Next time I have it fired up I will get the specs in case you may want to obtain one.

I was going to mention that if it returns to the prompt the command finished.
My guess would be that the command did not find any "ubuntu-drivers".
That would seem the most logical conclusion. Otherwise it may throw up an error of some sort.

I have a micro USB wifi adapter I use in my laptop which works very well running under Linux (Linux Mint - based off Ubuntu). Next time I have it fired up I will get the specs in case you may want to obtain one.
thank you. does it work for windows too? I mainly use windows but wanted to try linux

thank you. does it work for windows too? I mainly use windows but wanted to try linux
Well that's a very good question! I must be honest and say I don't know if I have ever tried it with Windows. I run Linux 99% of the time but I do have an old laptop which runs Windows 7. Next time I boot it up (ugh...iTunes :( ) I will plug in the adapter and see if it works.
It is hard to imagine that it would not work but I will test it anyway and report back. :)

Members online