Help with the basics of installing Linux

moequinones390

Reaction score
Credits
So I downloaded Linux on my laptop windows 10 for some reason it won’t let me open it just keeps going back to download page

Hello moequinones390 Welcome to the group.
You don't open it. It's supposed to be burnt to a usb or/Dvd . Which distro did you download?
This page should be of help.

Last edited:
Dissapointed,,, I thought it was going to be a video of the Beatles

as @kc1di has said you dont open the distribution after download, you must make [burn] a bootable ISO from there you can install, in many cases to a live session [this is so you can get an idea if it will work on your kit and if you like the look and feel,] then you install from the icon on the live desktop to your harddrive

I have edited the title of this thread, as the title was a meaningless 'Help'.

Before posting further, please read the 2nd link in my signature.

Dissapointed,,, I thought it was going to be a video of the Beatles

as @kc1di has said you dont open the distribution after download, you must make [burn] a bootable ISO from there you can install, in many cases to a live session [this is so you can get an idea if it will work on your kit and if you like the look and feel,] then you install from the icon on the live desktop to your harddrive
Ok so I have to buy a blank cd disk and burn it from pc to cd then install to pc ! Sorry I am really new to this and it’s for school I start in January could you please explain steps and list things I will need to make this work out for me thanks for all your help ! Also I tried downloading red hat also no dice there either

Ok so I have to buy a blank cd disk and burn it from pc to cd then install to pc ! Sorry I am really new to this and it’s for school I start in January could you please explain steps and list things I will need to make this work out for me thanks for all your help ! Also I tried downloading red hat also no dice there either
You will need a DVD for most of the Distros now. CD will not be big enough. Most of them are 1.5 Gbs or bigger now a days.
Will the machine boot from a usb stick that is the easy way to do it. read the page I referenced in my last post it will help you to see what you need to do.
What are the specs on your machine? That will help us guide you.

RedHat would not be a good choice for a new commer to Linux and it's not a free distro Fedora is their open source version. This page may be a good place to start for you as it describes different distros and what they are and will give you a little background on Linux.

If your willing to learn then we are willing to help. BUT you must remember our members are scattered across all the time zones in the world so you wont get immediate replies I am in the uk and its 11pm nearly time for old wizards to sleep.
if you need a blank DVD [not cd] or a 4gb pendrive will depend on the age and specifications of your computer,
to some extent a suitable build of linux will also depend on the same information, there are certain builds of linux totally unsuitable for beginners,
you say its for school , what is the brief on the linux version you need to install

if your willing to continue look at my signature , and give the answers to all the above, and i will take a look in the morning,

Bwiz

it's not a free distro

Slight update that many folks missed.

With the change to CentOS, RHEL changed their licensing. RHEL is free for SOHO use.

NOTE: This doesn't change your recommendation, it's just a reminder for those that missed it. RHEL is gratis for SOHO use. I believe it's free for up to 16 devices, but feel free to look it up.

Here's an article about it:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Red Hat is not free unless for SOHO with 16 machines or less see here - https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-...rprise-linux-programs-easier-ways-access-rhel - If you want an Linux like Red Hat I would suggest Rocky Linux - https://rockylinux.org/ it is free
This guide is for creating a live USB with Ubuntu - https://itsfoss.com/create-live-usb-of-ubuntu-in-windows/

I know it works, too. I have two RHEL servers and one RHEL workstation - plus another RHEL workstation.

Just sign up (note the 'gratis' not 'lbre') and use your email address during the installation. It has yet to not work. I could probably spin up a bunch of VMs to test it, but that seems a lot like work.

Guess I should have read your more carefully would not have basically doubled post -

It's okay - Just realized I misread part of your post! LOL

I blame the rum. Dunno what your excuse is.

Good morning,
Back to your original post [I downloaded Linux on my laptop windows 10 for some reason it won’t let me open ]

If you have a W10 machine then it should be usb bootable
Preferably you will need a new or good quality pendrive of 4gb if used you need to re-format to Fats32
you will need to install a usb burning tool to your windows [we recommend balena-etcher.eu]
finally you will need to download your ISO from a main source [or trusted mirror]
now we are ready to start, put the formatted pendrive in a suitable usb slot, open etcher choose make bootable image and follow the instructions
how to install we can cover once you have got this far [and we still need to know the make/model number of your computer for additional advice]

Bwiz

Staff online