Help with locked files Read-Only File system

PerfectBake420

Reaction score
Credits
I had a ubuntu 18.04 server go down last week and I grabbed the replacement server (same exact motherboard, ram, and processor). I found the SSD was still good so I put the ssd in the new server and boom, it all came back up working. Or at least I thought it did. I can not open Firefox, says its already running and needs to be closed. Cant kill firefox. Cant install new files or updates. Everytime I try to do something, I get the same Read-Only File System issue. I have in the past broke a server by running a chmod on the root folder lol. I am not wanting to take the server down if I dont have to. I am guessing there is a folder somewhere I need to take ownership of but I am hesitant as to guess which one.

Can any of you help me in this matter?

A hard drive will put itself in that mode if it's damaged. How did you determine that it was still good?

PC Doctor 11 USB bootable tool. Once it passed, i put it in the new server and it booted. The previous server was not booting at all.

I'd try using fsck on the drive as my next step. (There are many tutorials if you don't know how.)

I have an appointment with a lawyer just after lunch, but I'll check back.

"fsck from util-linux 2.31.1
e2fsck 1.44.1 (24-MAR-2018)
fsck.ext4: Permission denied while trying to open /dev/sdc1
You must have r/w access to the filesystem or be root"

No the server is remote and I can either work on it remotely with Teamviewer or SSH. I am 2hrs away from the server and it can not go down unless its midnight

Ah, so it's in production. You get that error even when you use sudo with fsck? Bare minimum, you're going to want to run fsck from outside the OS. You can't run it on a mounted drive, AFAIK.

Are there on-prem techs available?

If it's currently up and running/serving, then you'll likely have to wait until it can go offline. That's okay - we have people here around the clock. Someone will step up and see you through it.

I appreciate it. I am the only IT tech for the entire company and we are a Medical marijuana cultivator/Extraction/Dispensary company so I am over a lot. I am so busy I wasn't thinking about it being a locked drive because it is in use. I will have to get there after hours and work on it. Thank you for our assistance.

Bring your laptop with you. You can find people here at all hours. I suspect fsck will fix it but I'm not 100% certain. The drive will put itself into that mode when it has corrupted data, as well as when it is failing. So, that's a basic step you can take.

As for the company you work for, I'll advise you to not eat edibles before going to work on the server.

LMAO. Thanks. Ill just eat the sativa ones so I am not falling asleep

Off-topic:

Weed is perfectly legal in my location - even for personal, recreational use. I get a kick out of the people who say weed was better when they were young. No, no it was not.

Modern edibles give me couch-lock punctuated with giggle-fits. For the folks that think it was better 'back in the day', go to a dispensary and get some top-shelf stuff. I have gobs of BHO that I seldom bother with because it's just absurdly potent.

Members online

Latest posts