Help With Imaging using G4L and ssd

A

andym63

I am using G4L it to clone the hard drive in my Muse Research Receptor ,its a linux box that uses wine to play VST instruments.
I have managed to clone the HD.Using the clone disk function in G4l no probs.
I am now thinking about getting an ssd my question is.
Will i be able to make an image of a 1TB Sata drive with about 200GB of info on it.And then transfer that image on to a 250 GB SSD using G4L and still have it boot.

Thx Andy

It may be possible, but different approach with possibly fewer headaches may be to create a partition same size as the SSD or smaller, place data (200GB of info) into that partition and clone it. Then transfer the clone to the SSD -- would it not?
i use Clonezilla, myself.

It may be possible, but different approach with possibly fewer headaches may be to create a partition same size as the SSD or smaller, place data (200GB of info) into that partition and clone it. Then transfer the clone to the SSD -- would it not?
i use Clonezilla, myself.

Hmm that might be worth a try i have a backup of everyhing so it cant do any harm.
The drive that is in the machine now is i 1 tb.
If i understand correctly you are sugesting that i
1.shrink the partition on the 1 tb drive to just above the size of the actual amount of data on it (about 300 gb)using parted magic.
2.clone the shrunken disk on to the empty 500 gb ssd.
3 install the ssd in place of the 1 tb drive.

???
Thx Andy

Hmm that might be worth a try i have a backup of everyhing so it cant do any harm.
The drive that is in the machine now is i 1 tb.
If i understand correctly you are sugesting that i
1.shrink the partition on the 1 tb drive to just above the size of the actual amount of data on it (about 300 gb)using parted magic.
2.clone the shrunken disk on to the empty 500 gb ssd.
3 install the ssd in place of the 1 tb drive.

???
Thx Andy

Hi
I ended up usung unetbootin.
First i cloned the original drive twice onto 2 separate Sata drives and checked to make sure they worked
They where two 2 Tb drives.
I used G4l in unetbootin for that.No probs there.
After that i used one of the clones as a Source drive for my ssd clone.
I started by shrinking the File system on the 2 tb drive to 350 Gb (slightly more than the amount
Of data on the drive.To do this i used parted magic also in the unetbootin distro.
Then i cloned that on to the 500 Gb ssd using G4l click and clone.
Initialy i ghaught the clone had failed because it Stopped after 24.99 % So i left it alone for 30 min just
Incase.Then reebooted
I then reesized the ssd to 500 gb
Using parted magic.
The clone works fine.The file system is error free.
Thx for all the advice .Andy

Members online