Help With Error While Attempting to Install / Run Vagrant and VM Configuration in Ubuntu 18.04

NewbieLux

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All,

I'm more or less a total newbie who is just getting used to transitioning from the GUI to the command line and I've run into a problem getting the configuration for vagrant to run (I'm doing a course on Udacity (Intro to Relational Databases) that requires these installations). I receive the following error message:

Error while connecting to libvirt: Error making a connection to libvirt URI qemu:///system?no_verify=1&keyfile=/home/secxos/.ssh/id_rsa: (VagrantPlugins::providerLibvirt::Errors::FogLibvirtConnectionError)
Call to virConnectOpen failed: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
Error while connecting to libvirt: Error making a connection to libvirt URI qemu:///system?no_verify=1&keyfile=/home/secxos/.ssh/id_rsa
rt-sock': No such file or directory

So i guess a connection is not being made and a file is missing. Needless to say I'm struggling to understand half of this so if anyone who help or provide some useful pointers / explanations / solutions about what is going wrong that would be much appreciated. This is the full traceback:

Bringing machine 'default' up with 'libvirt' provider...
#<Thread:0x000055e65e8106b0@/usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/batch_action.rb:71 run> terminated with exception (report_on_exception is true):
Traceback (most recent call last):
25: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/batch_action.rb:82:in `block (2 levels) in run'
24: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:188:in `action'
23: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:188:in `call'
22: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/environment.rb:592:in `lock'
21: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:202:in `block in action'
20: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/machine.rb:227:in `action_raw'
19: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `run'
18: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/util/busy.rb:19:in `busy'
17: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/runner.rb:66:in `block in run'
16: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builder.rb:116:in `call'
15: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:34:in `call'
14: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/config_validate.rb:25:in `call'
13: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:34:in `call'
12: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/box_check_outdated.rb:31:in `call'
11: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:34:in `call'
10: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builtin/call.rb:52:in `call'
9: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builder.rb:170:in `to_app'
8: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/builder.rb:170:in `new'
7: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:20:in `initialize'
6: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:20:in `map'
5: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:20:in `block in initialize'
4: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:90:in `finalize_action'
3: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-2.0.2/lib/vagrant/action/warden.rb:90:in `new'
2: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-libvirt-0.0.43/lib/vagrant-libvirt/action/create_networks.rb:26:in `initialize'
1: from /usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-libvirt-0.0.43/lib/vagrant-libvirt/driver.rb:40:in `connection'
/usr/share/rubygems-integration/all/gems/vagrant-libvirt-0.0.43/lib/vagrant-libvirt/driver.rb:43:in `rescue in connection': Error while connecting to libvirt: Error making a connection to libvirt URI qemu:///system?no_verify=1&keyfile=/home/secxos/.ssh/id_rsa: (VagrantPlugins::providerLibvirt::Errors::FogLibvirtConnectionError)
Call to virConnectOpen failed: Failed to connect socket to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
Error while connecting to libvirt: Error making a connection to libvirt URI qemu:///system?no_verify=1&keyfile=/home/secxos/.ssh/id_rsa:

All and any help would be much appreciated but please keep in mind....total newbie!!

This is beyond my paygrade but I can ask a couple of questions.

G'day and welcome to linux.org :)

Do you have a provider specified?

Do you have the provider set up?

Do you have VirtualBox installed, and if so, which version?

I have just Googled

linux Error while connecting to libvirt: Error making a connection to libvirt URI qemu:///system?no_verify=1&keyfile=/home/secxos/.ssh/id_rsart-sock': No such file or directory

... only about 5 entries, but one from Launchpad on bugs is revealing, also one from Ubuntu may assist.

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online