Help! Want to start over

Baja

Reaction score
Credits
I installed linux mint 20.1 mate and am having boot error issues and it is conflicting with the software I'm running. Want to uninstall 20.1 and install 19.3 mate. This is not a dual operating system. I have created a usb install disk of 19.3 and tried to boot over the 20.1 with the usb. I get a blinking cursor for a second followed by a very quick error msg and then it goes to a blank screen. There is nothing on this computer I need to keep. Using it for an ar sandbox and starting fresh would be easiest for me. Please help!

Greetings Baja, and welcome!
I also am running Mint 20.1 MATE.
I have a question or two for you.
1. How did you install 19.3 on your USB stick? Please explain the steps you used.
2. How did you try to boot over 20.1? Ditto of the above.
3. It would help if you would let us know what software you are having trouble with.
Once again, WELCOME!!!
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie

I get a blinking cursor for a second followed by a very quick error msg and then it goes to a blank screen.
It would be helpful to know the contents of that error msg. Did you try booting Mint 19.3 in live mode and that's when you got the error? If you can, please elaborate a bit on the steps you took right from inserting the USB stick.

Greetings Baja, and welcome!
I also am running Mint 20.1 MATE.
I have a question or two for you.
1. How did you install 19.3 on your USB stick? Please explain the steps you used.
2. How did you try to boot over 20.1? Ditto of the above.
3. It would help if you would let us know what software you are having trouble with.
Once again, WELCOME!!!
Old Geezer, Tango Charlie
Thank you!
I created a live usb installation from etcher
I inserted the usb with 19.3 rebooted the computer and then started bios. Made sure it was booting from the removable disk. It begins to boot and That is when I get the cursor and the error flash and then screen goes blank. The error message is so fast I cannot see it. I had 20.1 working fine but it suddenly started getting errors when booting. Those errors are ACPI bios errors.
I am trying to run an Augmented Reality Sandbox.

Last edited:
The first step is (in my thinking) verifying the integrity of the downloaded .iso. It's actually not all that uncommon for a file to have had an issue while downloading. They don't publish the checksums just for security reasons, it's also there to verify file integrity.

Generally ACPI errors are caused by graphic driver conflicts
you can add "nouveau.blacklist=1" to the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Should look something like this:
Code:
"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nouveau.blacklist=1 quiet splash" acpi=force apm=power_off"
then run
Code:
sudo update-grub
now reboot and see if it boots correctly - if it doesn't boot you can always change the grub back

Welcome to the forums,
My immediate thoughts are that either the initial download, or the burning to installation medium has an error, you may be able to force it to run , but I would be more inclined to start from scratch,
Bwiz

Is there any chance this pc was used for windows prior to this try with Linux.......and that Secure Boot is still enabled?

Some bios you will have to change it to legacy in order to turn off secure boot.....
  • To disable Secure Boot, you need to restart your PC and open the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).
  • Secure Boot is a feature in your PC’s UEFI that only allows authorized operating systems to boot.
  • You can re-enable Secure Boot from UEFI, but you may need to restore Windows to factory conditions.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts