Help to install Garuda Linux in dual boot with win10 ssd separately

Maurizio

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, I'm a new user of Garuda Linux, I'm leaving win10 pro but not yet completely because of 2 3d cad programs which only run on windows. I will try with virtualbox to overcome the problem, in the meantime I have to work but win10 crashes after booting, this happens after installing Garuda in a 2nd m.2 ssd with btrfs filesystem. It crashes even without Garuda installation, just formatting in btrfs is enough.
The procedure was the following: win10 was already installed in a pc (amd threadripper 1950, ssd m.2 512gb ntfs, nvidia gtx1060 6gb, 32 gb memory), since a long time I wanted to quit windows, I decided to do it 20 days ago. Knowing that dual boot is not recommended I installed Garuda in a 2nd ssd, at startup
Garuda starts by default but if I need win10, I press F11 and choose windows.
I have done the same setup for my laptop : acer nitro 5 with i7-10750, ssd m.2 512gb main disk with garuda, ssd 1 terabyte partitioned 140gb win10 rest ntfs data disk, 16gb memory, intel video cards and nvidia rtx3060. Here I have no boot problems, I can choose to start win10 with F12 key otherwise garuda starts by default.
Can anyone help me solve the problem on the desktop pc? Only detail not specified above is that in the pc I partitioned the 1 terabyte m.2 ssd into 290 gb formatted btrfs the remaining formatted ntfs. I couldn't test btrfs on the whole ssd because ntfs is where Steam games from win10 are stored.

I thank everyone and anyone who can help me understand how to solve this problem.

Maurizio Andrenacci

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Attachments

• 20211226_193448.jpg
    20211226_193448.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 272

@Maurizio welcome to linux.org :)

There may have been a delay in your Thread being displayed because it contained a hyperlink (to DeepL) - a safeguard against Spam. You will be OK in a few days/posts, but for now, don't post hyperlinks.

I have to sign off for my evening in Australia, but will take a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Maurizio welcome to linux.org :)

There may have been a delay in your Thread being displayed because it contained a hyperlink (to DeepL) - a safeguard against Spam. You will be OK in a few days/posts, but for now, don't post hyperlinks.

I have to sign off for my evening in Australia, but will take a look tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Ok

Welcome to the Forums
this is a Windows error, not Linux, have a look at this article..

Bwiz
Thank you for replay.
Yes, i know, but two different machines have different results at boot, i don't understand. If i format file system in ntfs, or ext4, i don't have problem. I've read article but it seem there isn't solution for my case.

. I've read article but it seem there isn't solution for my case.
all i can guess at , is linux can read and use most file systems, but windows cannot it can only read NTFS/and Fats at the moment

windows cannot it can only read NTFS

FWIW and just to toss it into the mix:

At one point, I used a driver (or something) to read/write to Ext3 formatted drives from Windows. I want to say it was a temporary thing for a friend. For the life of me, I can't remember why I did this. I think it may have had something to with a bunch of files (audio or video or graphics?) that I wanted to share with them from an external drive?

So, I just did some digging and, well, I have no idea how I did it. Ain't gotta clue!

But, I did find this:

Obviously, it is not something I've personally tested. I also don't know if it was a previous solution, I guess that's free for personal use. It may have been what I used back then. I have no clue.

Members online