Help the childrens learn computer skills!

Hannah Bundy

Reaction score
Credits
Hey So I am an American volunteer working in a low low low income school in South Africa. I have 6 computers that were gifted to the school (who knows how long ago) that do not have operating systems on them.

I am a Mac user but was going to install windows on these computers but my connection to get windows to put on it fell through while I was back home for a visit. Then I happened upon a post about Linux and was wondering if this would be a good option for these computers.

Every computer I have seen in South Africa has windows on it and its what my staff knows, but I wonder how easy it is to learn Linux, and if it would be better for these computers and easier for me to get access to?

I am really dumb when it comes to anything but Macs now and what the computers to be easy to use and hard to get viruses (Because every computer and USB drive I have seen in South Africa has viruses on them).

Honestly, I am only in this school for 1 more year and no one will maintain them after I leave except the students that I train before I go.

So in Summary, would it hurt my students to learn on Linux if the majority of what they will be using will be windows? Will it be hard for me to pick up Linux to be able to teach them? Would somebody literally hold my hand and help me figure out what I need/ How to do it for these lovely students?

G'day Hannah, and Welcome to Linux.org

Can you describe to me what you mean by "computer skills".....does this mean using specific programs?....if so which ones.

Are the PC (computer) skills more along the lines of learning to type perhaps....how old are the students?

We will probably ask a great number of questions...we need to figure out if Linux will be suitable....It will certainly teach tjhe kids (and staff) how to maneuver around an OS (operating system) and how to use Libre Office (very similar to Microsoft word)....and they can figure out how to take screen shots and copy and paste etc etc etc.....but we need to know if type of thing os what you need to teach....or are you needing to teach something that is more specific to Windows.

The PC's over there, with no OS's......what do you know about them ? model, brand, laptops or stand alone towers, ram, any info will be crucial.

Will you have internet access over there ?......what type ? wifi, ethernet cable ? (from phone socket to pc)

Hi Hannah, and welcome! Brian has got you started asking all the right questions. Much depends on how modern those computers are, how much RAM they have, and whether they have a working DVD drive (or are able to boot on a USB flash drive).

You basically must be able to boot on a DVD or USB to install any operating system, including Windows. And you will need a reliable Internet connection to download the installation file for whatever system you would choose. These install files vary from about 1.5 GB up to about 3 or 4 GB. Linux is usually on the smaller side, but you can also download and install Windows 10 direct from Microsoft, and it would be on the larger side. These computers may not have enough horsepower to run Windows 10, but you might want to see if that option is available for you. Of course, we aren't the people to help with Windows support here (there are plenty of other sites for that) but we will try to help you along if you want to pursue Linux installations.

Your goal here may be really hard, or it may not... there are so many variables. But as a guide, try to think back to your very first year of owning a computer (Mac or other)... how well did you do, and how much did you learn? Did you have an experienced mentor to help, especially one who could stop by and offer hands on help? If you could locate an experienced Linux user nearby that would help you and the kids, that would be far more effective than asking questions here and trying to follow our instructions. We have people here from all over the world that will help, but there will be delays between questions and answers due to our time zone differences (and sometimes due to our other family and work commitments).

So, some things for you to consider. Let us know the computer specs when you can if you still want to go for it. We will do our best.

Cheers
Stan

Hello teacher @Hannah Bundy.
Υou allow me to call you a teacher from now on.
Υour question will be answered by others who have the proper knowledge.
I just want to thank you for what you do.
Οn behalf of all the non-privileged thank you very much.

Without operating systems, Hannah may only be able to give us rudimentary details.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over old computers, recovers adroitly and invents a new dance step, The Wizard Shimmy)

That is a wonderful thing you are doing, Hannah and welcome to linux.org :p

Desktops or laptops? There may be stickers on them, which might say eg HP this or Compaq that, and model numbers eg C300-A &c. We can then Google them up and show you a picture and see if they are close.

When I first started seriously looking into Linux around 2010, there was a program in place in parts of Africa including RSA, funded by Canonical, whom produce Ubuntu (a word you may recognise?) Linux, founded by SA entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth.

Canonical may be worth contacting, at

• Canonical Group Limited
  • 5th Floor, Blue Fin Building
  • 110 Southwark Street
  • SE1 0SU
  • London, United Kingdom

If I think of anything else useful, I will include it here.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder :D

Members online