Help setting up remote access to pop os based laptop from windows 10

medrin

Reaction score
Credits
Hi im very new to linux and I've been trying to get remote access to the Linux based laptop using google chrome remote desktop. So far I installed the chromium web browser on the laptop with pop os. Installed extensions and the files for chrome remote desktop but for some reason it keeps asking to install the software even though its showing as installed.

ross@pop-os:~$ systemctl status chrome-remote-desktop
● chrome-remote-desktop.service - LSB: Chrome Remote Desktop service
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/chrome-remote-desktop; generated)
Active: active (exited) since Mon 2021-01-04 13:16:14 GMT; 9s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 8066 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/chrome-remote-desktop start (code=exite>
lines 1-5/5 (END)

is what I get in terminal. Does anyone know how to get this to work

G'day @medrin and welcome to linux.org :)

Always a good idea to check the site setup before you post, so you stand a better chance of getting answered.

In General Linux and Getting Started it is easy to just scroll off the front page and disappear into oblivion, it was only that I was spending a few minutes looking for zero replies (while dong other things) that I found you on about page 3.

You might be better off in Networking.

Have a look and a think, let me know and I can move you there. Signing off for my evening in Australia shortly but back tomorrow.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply is it possible to close the thread I've jumped into a different remote service until I learn a bit more. @wizardfromoz

Thanks for the reply is it possible to close the thread I've jumped into a different remote service until I learn a bit more. @wizardfromoz
I have no experience with chrome remote desktop. I have used x2go, but currently I use xrdp. With x2go you setup x2goserver and then you can connect through the ssh to your graphical environment using x2go client which has support for both Windows and GNU/Linux, xrdp is just rdp for GNU/Linux. What remote service are you using now that you got working?

Last edited:
Currently using nomachine to connect while I play around with some distros

Staff online

Members online