help please - unable to boot since last install '/dev/sda2 contains file system with errors'

sophieR

Reaction score
Credits
hello!

since last install of updates 2 days ago was able to boot twice stutteringly and now not at all.
I cant escape, shut down or get beyond a black screen with:

(initramfs)
'/dev/sda2 contains file system with errors'
Inodes thqt were part of a corrupted orpahn linked list found

unexpected inconsistency ; run fsck manualy
fsck exited with status code 4
the rrot file system on dev sda2 requires a manual fsck

Busybox v1.27.2 (ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.3) built in shell (ash)

I dont understand what to do. I can get a list of built in commands and have tried a few with out effect

laptop is gets hot and uses power quickly stuck as it is on this display

I have forced shut down twice . when i restart i get a box with options:
system reset or set up
start cinnammon mint
start advanced cinnamon mint

i checked in set up and only could find enable automatic recovery to try . This didnt ahve any effect.

I have version cinnamon 19

Grateful for any guidance
I am not very skilled with Linux.

thanks
Sophie

Hi Sophie sorry your having problems with Mint.
There are may reasons it may not boot. Can you access the grub menu and perhaps boot to recovery mode? You access the grub menu when you system just begins to boot hold down the left shift key or the esc key depending of if you system is UEFI or Bios boot. Once there go to advance and choose recovery mode.

oh hi dave , thanks very much

when i did that

I get

' GNU Grub version 2.04

minimal BASH like line editing is supported. TAB lists possible command completions .....
grub>'

when i force shut down and then started using power on key i think i did get an option to go to advnce linux and maybe recovery would be in there. so i could try that again..;?

ps
is there a command i can put in to get back to the grub without force shutting down again?

oh hi dave , thanks very much

when i did that

I get

' GNU Grub version 2.04

minimal BASH like line editing is supported. TAB lists possible command completions .....
grub>'

this provoked a new screen with lots of texts and then the info is :

when i force shut down and then started using power on key i think i did get an option to go to advnce linux and maybe recovery would be in there. so i could try that again..;?

ps
is there a command i can put in to get back to the grub without force shutting down again?
ok

i did force re start and got to the grub menu, chose advanced mint . i got a list long un ending list of almost identical lines with every other one have ing (recovery mode) written after it.

I pressed one about 6 from the top: Got lots of text, ending with
scanning for Brtfs filesystems
done.
Begin: will now check root file system ...

From here it goes into the whole text I typed in in my first messge here eg corrupted orphan linked list etc

The only difference is that it now ends with :
' 97.230316) random: crng init done
97.230722) random: 7 urandom warnings missed due to rate limiting'

Any ideas?
thanks

G'day sopieR, Welcome to Linux.org

do you have a usb stick with your OS on it?....if so insert the usb stick and boot the laptop to that usb.

Then open a terminal (ctrl=alt+T) and copy and paste the following in

Code:
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda2

It should run right through without errors

At the end, in terminal, type exit

Then reboot

Start back up again normally.

Success ?

if you need to read...THIS can give a guide.

Do as Condobloke has suggested. If that does not work.
Did you by any chance use setup time shift when you installed Mint if so you can use that snapshot to return your system to the setting before the problem began. If not then I Suspect that either your Hard drive is failing or some how something has happen to the install.
If it were me I would use the USB/ DVD live media and try to copy any important file I had on the system and do a complete reinstall.

Thankyou both very much. the delay is the time difference here...am in france.

So i will search for USB and try that

And Dave,
I dont know how to get to the set up time shift. ...
I did use set up time shift however at present I cant get into anything but the GNU grub menu and that leads me to what I describe above. i.e.

system reset or set up
start cinnammon mint
start advanced cinnamon mint

and they lead to this page with
(initramfs)
'/dev/sda2 contains file system with errors'
Inodes thqt were part of a corrupted orpahn linked list found

unexpected inconsistency ; run fsck manualy
fsck exited with status code 4
the rrot file system on dev sda2 requires a manual fsck

Busybox v1.27.2 (ubuntu 1:1.27.2-2ubuntu3.3) built in shell (ash)

Is there a command to get back from this to the grub menu do you know? Just to go backwards...
At the moment each time I want to try something I am having to force shut down. Which isnt great I beleive.

thankyou!

G'day sopieR, Welcome to Linux.org

do you have a usb stick with your OS on it?....if so insert the usb stick and boot the laptop to that usb.

Then open a terminal (ctrl=alt+T) and copy and paste the following in

Code:
sudo fsck -f /dev/sda2

It should run right through without errors

At the end, in terminal, type exit

Then reboot

Start back up again normally.

Success ?

if you need to read...THIS can give a guide.

Did you by any chance use setup time shift when you installed Mint if so you can use that snapshot to return your system to the setting before the problem began. If not then I Suspect that either your Hard drive is failing or some how something has happen to the install.
If it were me I would use the USB/ DVD live media and try to copy any important file I had on the system and do a complete reinstall.

And Dave,
I dont know how to get to the set up time shift. ...
I did use set up time shift however at present I cant get into anything but the GNU grub menu and that leads me to what I describe above. i.e.
Do not spend time onTimeshift now...concentrate on getting your system up and running. Then we can tell you how to set Timeshift up.

A usb stick with your Mint on it...how was Linux Mint installed on your computer?...did someone else do the installation?

G'day @sophieR and another welcome from another Aussie :)

I did use set up time shift however at present I cant get into...

Does that mean you actually took a snapshot of your system with Timeshift?

Because if so, we can get you to plug in and boot from a Live USB stick with Mint on it and restore your system from there.

I will explain more on my tomorrow, have to leave for my evening.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Just want to thankyou for your help and to let you know that
I ve finally solved it for now. I needed to create a USB with Mint with the help of someone physical here , we then saved everything to an external hard drive, and did a complete re install. And did the fsck route Condobloke suggested.
I dont actually know what caused the problem - wether something in the hard drive of my laptop or something in the last download of updates was difficult for it to swallow, or what.
all the best
Sophie

Do not spend time onTimeshift now...concentrate on getting your system up and running. Then we can tell you how to set Timeshift up.

A usb stick with your Mint on it...how was Linux Mint installed on your computer?...did someone else do the installation?
HI Condobloke
I ve finally solved it for now. I needed to create a USB with Mint with the help of someone physical here , we then saved everything to an external hard drive, and did a complete re install. And did the fsck route you suggested.
I dont actually know what caused the problem - wether something in the hard drive of my laptop or something in the last download of updates was difficult for it to swallow, or what.
all the best
Sophie

G'day @sophieR and another welcome from another Aussie :)

Does that mean you actually took a snapshot of your system with Timeshift?

Because if so, we can get you to plug in and boot from a Live USB stick with Mint on it and restore your system from there.

I will explain more on my tomorrow, have to leave for my evening.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
HI Chris
I ve finally solved it for now. I needed to create a USB with Mint with the help of someone physical here , we then saved everything to an external hard drive, and did a complete re install. And did the fsck route Condobloke suggested.

Now all is functioning smoothly I will endeavour to set up Time shift and i now have a USB at hand in case there is a next time.
all the best
Sophie

Thanks for bringing us up to date, @sophieR

Seeing you have a system running nicely now......it would be a good time to take a Timeshift snapshot.
So, if something nasty happens you will have a system snapshot to restore.....which will save you a lot of trouble.

It would be preferable to save the snapshot to an External hard drive. Do you have one with plenty of space to spare on it,??

More than enough room
You may wish to Create a new folder on that drive and save any Timeshift snapshots to that folder....your choice.

Timeshift will already be on your Linux Mint 19
Click on the menu and type in Timeshift....click to open it.

Start at Settings.
Settings...select RSYNC

Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s (external hard drive is preferable)...navigate to that external hard rive and select the folder you created (if you created one....otherwise just select the drive.)

Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two.... I only keep two or three snapshots per month....I find it is enough for me....your needs may vary. I do not choose a schedule....instead I just click on 'Create' whenever I need to take a snapshot.

Users...Include All

Filters...under the + icon select both lines

Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create
Once you have clicked create....do NOT disturb it

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx....maybe a little longer seeing this is a first snapshot. Future snapshots will be quicker because it will only save whatever has changed.

If you need to save pictures and data and music....they will not be saved by Timeshift. Only the OS itself is saved, so that if something goes haywire again it will resurrect the OS for you. Do not lose that USB Stick with Linux Mint 19 on it...it will be invaluable.

If Timeshift is not on your pc, just let me know.

at the moment have a daily timeshift snapshot
do i just save and copy the latest?

thanks. we cross posted. will follow your suggestions. im now with the latest mint 20

Ok..... LM20.2 will definitely have T'shift
:cool:

Great you've got it going again and you didn't give up congrats :)

Members online

Latest posts