Help! My linux crashed when i restored from a system image after a kernel update.

jacklhoward

Reaction score
Credits
HELP. The update installed kernel, packages and flatpak updates but with some error . so i want to roll back to before the update to redo it correctly and restored a btrfs backup from before the update. then the whole desktop and file disappears and UI all janks up. battery shows 0. Everything hangs and when i try to restart it hangs so i have to force a shutdown. when i boot back to linux no matter which kernel version or even the rescue version i choose it gives me thishttps://imgur.com/a/ymtRMqW

apparently it happens due to modules and initramfs do not match the / and /home that i restored. my /boot is not btrfs and is not covered by the image backup.
I am running nobara 37 and its a modified fedora 37. I dont know what to do in this situation.

From the image you linked to, it looks like you can get to a root shell by either entering your root password, or hitting cntl+d.

Can you get a root shell?

If you are able to access a root shell, and, as you mention, there's an issue with the initramfs files, then you could try and regenerate the images for all kernels on the system with:
Code:
dracut --regenerate-all
Then reboot, choose from the grub menu an earlier kernel that is known to have worked, and see if that helps.

Members online