Dear linuxers :D,
I am using windows and want to switch to linux
But the problem is whick distro to use.

I have a very poor PC:
CPU : Intel atom d410 1.66 GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2
VGA: Intel graphic media accelerater 3150 256 mb
HDD: 256 GB

• I want a lightweight distro that can run on above specs.
  • It should be KDE
  • It should have drivers for above hardwares.
  • I'd like if it would debian based.(If you know a better one that isn't debian based.Please also mention it)
  • It should able to run wineHQ and i3WM
And I like below distros.Help me to choose a one or recommend me another.

Zorin OS (Core)​
Fedora​
Manjaro​
Ubuntu​
Please help me.
Any negative or positive comments accsepted.

• It should be KDE
  • It should have drivers for above hardwares.
  • I'd like if it would debian based.(If you know a better one that isn't debian based.Please also mention it)
  • It should able to run wineHQ and i3WM

If you're going to use KDE why would you need to run i3wm? Also, KDE won't work as you might expect it to with 1GB of RAM, with those specs a windows manager is a better option. I think antiX will do just fine https://antixlinux.com/ it is a Debian based distro and very friendly on resources.

Just run arch and install everything you want on it and install i3 on it. I love using i3-gaps

Ubuntu requires a dual core processor.
Fedora requires 2 GHz dual core processor as does Zorin OS.
And Manjaro needs a 1 GHz processor.

Those distro's will be too heavy for your Intel Atom processor.

Puppy Linux, Bodhi Linux or Lubuntu would be good choices for your pc.

Ubuntu requires a dual core processor.
Fedora requires 2 GHz dual core processor as does Zorin OS.
And Manjaro needs a 1 GHz processor.

Those distro's will be too heavy for your Intel Atom processor.

Puppy Linux, Bodhi Linux or Lubuntu would be good choices for your pc.

Thankyou for you support.
By using lubuntu,
Will I able to use i3wm and coustomize it to a better gui.
And could I get drivers for my hardware.
Are there a goos comiunity to ask and learn like this.

Just run arch and install everything you want on it and install i3 on it. I love using i3-gaps

Will arch linux run on my specs.
And I'm not a developer. ( I've heard that Arch is better for devs )

Arch Linux is optimized for i686 and x86-64 microprocessors, so you need:
  • An i686-based or x86-64 computer (PPro, Pentium 2 or higher, Athlon/Duron, etc. Note that AMD K6, Transmeta Crusoe, CyrixIII, and VIA-C3 are NOT supported.)
  • 128 Mbytes RAM minimum, more is better to run graphical environments.

Arch Linux is optimized for i686 and x86-64 microprocessors, so you need:
  • An i686-based or x86-64 computer (PPro, Pentium 2 or higher, Athlon/Duron, etc. Note that AMD K6, Transmeta Crusoe, CyrixIII, and VIA-C3 are NOT supported.)
  • 128 Mbytes RAM minimum, more is better to run graphical environments.
Will mine work.
And would I have a software and hardware support as ubuntu (I mean Lubuntu)

Will mine work.
And would I have a software and hardware support as ubuntu (I mean Lubuntu)
Lubuntu will work yes.

Download Lubuntu and try it Live on your machine and see how it runs before you install it.

Is your machine a 32-bit or a 64-bit machine?

Will arch linux run on my specs.
And I'm not a developer. ( I've heard that Arch is better for devs )
Well if you are completely new to Linux, then Arch might not be for you. I am not a dev but love using it.

do you have a reason why you want to switch to Linux? 99% of the newbies started from Ubuntu (I am one of them). So try Lubuntu

I used Zorin OS Ultimate before, it's great and all but all it really has more were themes. Zorin is just a derivative of Ubuntu which is a der. of Debian.

At the end of the day, each user is different along with what their PC is capable of.

If you want to switch away from Windows - don't expect Wine to be working because I don't even bother with it. Just find alternatives. If you really need Windows, just dual boot and keep Windows as the backup system.

• It should be KDE
Those two things probably don't go together.
You are going to want to use a "lightweight" distro.
Something "mainstream" may work but will likely suffer from a lack of resources.

@HASH_SL I forgot to mention before but Q4OS is another lighweight, Debian based distro that might worth to check out. Download from here Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64 .iso file is only 678 MB so it shouldn't take too long. Hardware requirements according to their site
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk
As a plus, TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) looks pretty much like that of windows, take a look

image2.jpg

I've been playing around with this OS like for 3 months now or so and so far haven't had a single issue and it's pretty fast too even though it's installed in a USB stick. I say check it out; burn to a USB, boot the live mode and play a bit around with it to see if it meets your expectations and if it does then install it or create a VM in virtualbox whatever suits you better. :)

@HASH_SL I forgot to mention before but Q4OS is another lighweight, Debian based distro that might worth to check out. Download from here Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64 .iso file is only 678 MB so it shouldn't take too long. Hardware requirements according to their site As a plus, TDE (Trinity Desktop Environment) looks pretty much like that of windows, take a look

image2.jpg

I've been playing around with this OS like for 3 months now or so and so far haven't had a single issue and it's pretty fast too even though it's installed in a USB stick. I say check it out; burn to a USB, boot the live mode and play a bit around with it to see if it meets your expectations and if it does then install it or create a VM in virtualbox whatever suits you better. :)
I remember when downloading an mp3 4mb took 20 minutes and the worst part is someone picking up the phone right at 99% with no resumability o_O

Those two things probably don't go together.
You are going to want to use a "lightweight" distro.
Something "mainstream" may work but will likely suffer from a lack of resources.
Agreed, KDE is a RAM hog and OP has an Atom Processor.

Your best bet is to stick with a distro that will work with an atom processor.

Like Lubuntu, Bodhi Linux, Puppy Linux and the like-

If you're new to Linux I don't recommend Slackware or Arch.

Without reading all of the documentation on how to run those distros it could be very hard to understand.

Staff online

Members online