Help me get online... PLEASE...

F

fgoodwin34

Hello,

I am new to using UBUNTU (5 months or so)... My problem is all of a sudden I can no longer get a wifi connection in certain places that I use to such as McDonalds, Burger king, Cyber Laundromat, the Free Library etc... However, I can still get the connection when I use my ANDROID phone as a TETHERING hotspot...

ALSO, those locations no longer even show up under my wifi signal... Only the LIBRARY but it there is no signal showing, just the name...

Forgive me because I am not good with comp terminology but when I do connect using my phone there appears to be a lock at the bottom of the signal... I was wondering if I did something accidentally that made it ONLY possible to get online using my phone's signal....

PLEASE HELP ME QUICKLY because I've run out of monthly "G's" so my connection is VERY WEAK AND SLOW...

THANX

A powerful program I would seriously look to help solve your problem is Ceni.
This is a good opportunity (remember: it is not a problem unles one's mind makes it one) to compile from source in ubuntu.

It's easy to use and a very powerful solution to your problem, one wifi spot at a time, IMHO.
This is most likely what I would do if I were in your shoes (unless I simply chose t stick with a Debian distro).

EDIT: see link above, "Ceni," as it provides additional links to wpa_supplicant and wicd, as well. Best wishes!

Last edited:
Make sure you have Wicd installed. When selecting a wireless access point, be sure that all of the settings are configured correctly. I would also ensure you have the correct drivers installed. I am correctly using Ubuntu without issues.

Members online