Help Linux 19 not mounting my CD/DVD player

Madmick70

Reaction score
Credits
This problem has now been sorted thank you all

Hi All
I am new to Linux 19 and at the moment getting on with most things, but have just found a problem I need help with. I have a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH 224DB I used it to install Linux Mint 19, but just tried to play a CD using Clementine and all that happens is a box opens saying Could not detect occupied disk size and nothing happens.
If I right click on the Icon (Audio Disc) that appears and select Clementine nothing happens.
But if I place a movie DVD in and select VLC media player it plays the movie.
I think I should also say I can play MP3 songs as long as they are placed into Music folder.
And the CD/DVD player never shows up as being mounted

My problem had something to do with Clementine not liking my CD/DVD player as changed to Rhythmbox and all was well, again thanks to all that tried to help.

Last edited:

Hi @Madmick70, and welcome! Try VLC (and Rhythmbox, if you have it) to see if other applications will open the CD. And I assume (sometimes not a good thing) that you mean a standard CD Audio disk, and not a CD full of MP3's.

A possible solution I saw with Google for your Clementine is to go to Tools > Preferences > Playback > GStreamer audio engine and choose something other than what you're currently using. If you have many options, try them all.

Gotta run... good luck!

Cheers

Hi @Madmick70 - You've been quiet for 2 months, must have been motoring along fine until now? A belated welcome :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, fails to see CD tower, goes arse over tit ... audience learns what a Wizard wears underneath his robe, not a pretty sight)

May I ask which 'Tara' (LM19) you are using - Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi @Madmick70 - You've been quiet for 2 months, must have been motoring along fine until now? A belated welcome :)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, fails to see CD tower, goes arse over tit ... audience learns what a Wizard wears underneath his robe, not a pretty sight)

May I ask which 'Tara' (LM19) you are using - Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce?

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
I am using Cinnamon Version 3.8.8
Linux Kernel 4.15.0-32-generic

You could also pop in a cd, type the mount command.. vs. popping in a dvd and typing mount.

Could tail the log files also to see if it recognizes various media
A lot of bumf comes on terminal that i don`t understand

Copy and paste it here...
madmick@madmick-Desktop-PC:~$ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=6108232k,nr_inodes=1527058,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=1227992k,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=39,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=15858)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=1227988k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
/dev/sdc5 on /media/madmick/Utorrent drive type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,default_permissions,allow_other,blksize=4096,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd3 on /media/madmick/Spare 207GB type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd2 on /media/madmick/Grsync type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)
/dev/sdd1 on /media/madmick/Timeshift type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,data=ordered,uhelper=udisks2)

Hi @Madmick70, and welcome! Try VLC (and Rhythmbox, if you have it) to see if other applications will open the CD. And I assume (sometimes not a good thing) that you mean a standard CD Audio disk, and not a CD full of MP3's.

A possible solution I saw with Google for your Clementine is to go to Tools > Preferences > Playback > GStreamer audio engine and choose something other than what you're currently using. If you have many options, try them all.

Gotta run... good luck!

Cheers
Thank you Rhythmbox, works find and now can play my CD. And can also see CD player on screen

Members online