Help Installing Programs in Ubuntu 19.10 GNOME

DeanSum

Reaction score
Credits
I have downloaded three or four programs and don't know how to open them. They are "F-engrave", "arduino", "ugs-platform-app" and others. I am assuming there is a way for opening them up. For example "arduino" If I right click the first option is "Open with archive Manager". Clicking on that gets me to "Reading arduino-1.8.10-linux 64.tar.xz". That takes me to "arduino-1.8.10" which says it is a folder. if I right click I get "open", or "Extract". Right click or left click "open" I get lots of choices but none of which installs the program. I could go on with the "extract" choice but I think I am doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

@DeanSum

You already have Arduino available in your Repositories but it depends on which version you want and have downloaded.

With the other two, and others if they have "tar" in them, they can be installed, but you may not get updates when they are released.

See this article and read it carefully to identify the types of tar compression (.xz , .bz , .zip &c) being used and how to extract and install.

https://tecadmin.net/extract-archive-file-linux/

Install Synaptic Manager onto your Ubuntu with the following:

Code:
sudo apt-get install synaptic

Always use Synaptic Package Manager to check for packages/apps before going elsewhere.

Each Distro has a Repository (repo) that is like a software warehouse run for that Distro.

Also a good read is

https://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

which explains how installing is different.

Cheers

Wizard

I have downloaded three or four programs and don't know how to open them. They are "F-engrave", "arduino", "ugs-platform-app" and others. I am assuming there is a way for opening them up. For example "arduino" If I right click the first option is "Open with archive Manager". Clicking on that gets me to "Reading arduino-1.8.10-linux 64.tar.xz". That takes me to "arduino-1.8.10" which says it is a folder. if I right click I get "open", or "Extract". Right click or left click "open" I get lots of choices but none of which installs the program. I could go on with the "extract" choice but I think I am doing something wrong.
Try this :)

Generally when working with a tar.gz you would extract it and than read the ReadMe file or the INSTALL file.

@DeanSum

I said earlier

Install Synaptic Manager onto your Ubuntu with the following:

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Always use Synaptic Package Manager to check for packages/apps before going elsewhere.

Each Distro has a Repository (repo) that is like a software warehouse run for that Distro.

1. Please do so

2. In Google, type and enter

linux tutorial synaptic package manager

3. Watch the Youtube video.

4. Open Synaptic Package Manager and in the Filter or Search field, type in

arduino

5. You can install it from there

Did you read any or all of @Vrai 's offerings above?

They are all very good, although, surprisingly the first two do not mention Synaptic Package Manager, which is one of the most used tools in Linux.

Once you have followed my five steps, and once you have read Vrai's linked articles, come back to us with any questions.

Thanks

Wizard

If I'm not mistaken Ubuntu comes with Synaptic Package Manager.

Using Synaptic will be a lot easier.

Here's the Guide on How To Use Synaptic:

Good Luck.

Last edited:
I couldn't get Synaptic Package Manager to download. I printed out the instructions and will be more diligent in installing instructions. I also printed out the other instructions. Thanks for your patience!

If I'm not mistaken Ubuntu comes with Synaptic Package Manager.

No, actually, it doesn't. The article you have referenced includes the install instructions.

Historically, Ubuntu used to remove both Synaptic and GParted on the way to completing the install.

With 19.10 they are now leaving GParted installed, but you still have to install Synaptic.

@DeanSum - in your own time.

Cheers

Wizard

No, actually, it doesn't. The article you have referenced includes the install instructions.

Historically, Ubuntu used to remove both Synaptic and GParted on the way to completing the install.

With 19.10 they are now leaving GParted installed, but you still have to install Synaptic.

@DeanSum - in your own time.

Cheers

Wizard
Thanks Wizard for letting me know. :)

Wonder if Synaptic is in the Software Center?

Indeed it is, nice call :):)

Nowadays it is called

Software Boutique

and you can start to type in software at Menu and find it.

sc8TfSQ.png

Mine is already installed, but you can install, reinstall and remove from there.

Cheers

Wiz

I did get "arduino" installed. Don't know how I did it. I clicked on the four choices, Arduino, arduino-builder, arduino-core, and one more. As I closed the open screens there it was. One more to figure out! maybe "Synaptic Package Manager" did it. I don't know.

Members online