Help installing linux

Mooey42

Reaction score
Credits
So I've been trying to install solus mate an old windows pc i'm currently sending this from, except when I get to the rufus step of any guide I look at always gives me an error saying "Error: Write error." I have no idea what I' doing wrong and really want Linux on this laptop so I'd love some help!

(im using an usb stick with 4 gb)

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-04-21 073027.png
    Annotation 2020-04-21 073027.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:

I've seen this multiple times when I use "iso" mode. But when I use "dd" mode, it usually works.

This is my first time trying to get linux so i dont really know. (by first time i mean first time attempting to get it on a pc)

G'day Mooey42 and Welcome to linux.org

When you eventually get solus installed on that PC, do you have an expectation that Windows will still be there ?......or are you prepared for the fact that Solus will wipe out the windows operating system completely ?

Try another bootable live usb maker like unetbootin

When you have success (we can lead you through the process of using unetbootin if you need it ).......you would then change the boot order in the windows pc so that it selects the usb thumb drive to boot from.

Pay attention to my paragraph in red first.

Last edited:
G'day Mooey42 and Welcome to linux.org

When you eventually get solus installed on that PC, do you have an expectation that Windows will still be there ?......or are you prepared for the fact that Solus will wipe out the windows operating system completely ?

Try another bootable live usb maker like unetbootin

When you have success (we can lead you through the process of using unetbootin if you need it ).......you would then change the boot oder n the windows pc so that it selects the usb thumb drive to boot from.

Pay attention to my paragraph in red first.
(Response to red paragraph) Yes I completely understand this. Also I have changed to using ubuntu instead as it has more support, but I suspect I will have the same error message so I will do as you say shortly.

You might also try creating a bootable DVD to install from.

If you have Windows use infrarecorder to create a bootable DVD.

Make certain to write image to the DVD not copy.

Here's how to do it.

You might also try creating a bootable DVD to install from.

If you have Windows use infrarecorder to create a bootable DVD.

Make certain to write image to the DVD not copy.

Here's how to do it.
I have a cd-r will that work?

Yes it will

So will your usb thumb drive

good point !!!....could be a touch squishy !!

If you have a DVD that will work

good point !!!....could be a touch squishy !!

If you have a DVD that will work
Is it possible I could use my usb then? But when I use unetbootin i don’t get any bios maybe a white flickering underline top left which I assume is some part of bios but it goes away shortly.

Or is it possible to skip the usb step all together and install straight on to my Laptop? Because I don’t need to try this out, I know I want it.

If Rufus isn't working out give etcher a try.
Here's how.

I have never used this so don't know anything about it although it is used for installing Linux Mint and should work with most Linux distros.

Here's a proven method.
Written for Linux Mint however should work for most Linux distros.

@Mooey42 ,

Have you tried writing other data to that USB drive?
Is there any other data on the drive?
Do you have a partitioning program or a disk utility with which you could examine the partition structure of the USB drive?

i personally find rufus the most reliable. Can you do a screenshot without the error so we all can see what options you are using?

DD mode usually works when ISO image doesn't, but this option pops up automatically so my guess is that you didn't see it.

-----------------------------
-----------------------------

If Rufus isn't working out give etcher a try.
Here's how.

I have never used this so don't know anything about it although it is used for installing Linux Mint and should work with most Linux distros.

Here's a proven method.
Written for Linux Mint however should work for most Linux distros.

@poorguy
Greetings,
Let me second your suggestion to use Etcher. I have used it installing Linux Mint 19.3 in addition to several other distros and found that it works the best of the three. It's simple, fast and easy to understand.
To me, it's a no-brainer.
Old Geezer TC

Members online