Help in installing Garuda Linux

mag-manoj

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone, thanks for reading this. I've been eyeing to install Garuda Linux as my primary OS. I have a laptop which has both SSD and HDD. The thing is, on most of the tutorials I have read, they select SSD as the installation drive. I have no problem with that. What I want to know is, if I install Garuda Linux in SSD, will I be able to access my contents on the HDD with Garuda Linux, after installation?

Also, during the installation, will the contents of my HDD be kept unchanged(ie, not deleted), if I install Linux on SSD?

I really wanna know answer for this guys...thanks in advance...!

Yes......and Yes.

make sure you install to the correct drive. Be absolutely certain you are installing to the SSD.

i've been looking at Vanilla Arch or nearest alternative myself recently Garuda didn't crop up in my search otherwise i would have looked at it. Due to very poor internet band width with frequent power outage any install needing circa 700MB was out; otherwise i think either archfi or anarchy installer would have worked . Yesterday I installed EndeavourOS onto a spare laptop (uefi) motherbaord which also has calamares installer .The main benefit for me sub sahara is that it has an offline install mode straight from the iso booted from usb

i don't know if you have come across dedoimedo web site but he has reviewed both ; he might be getting old and irritable or something since i had no problem with EndeavourOS . Anyway review here https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/garuda-linux.html

On distrowatch endeavourOS gets 8.8 and garuda 8.6 i was going to say pay no attnetion to the review rating , then saw they gave Slackware 9.1 so their not wrong

or the install i set up partitions using fdisk , although the installer gave me alternative access to gParted.

The installer came up mentioning /dev/sdb which was the usb stick , containing a dd'd iso which i thought strange ? i.e you would have thought it would know that. Anyway with a choice of a 250Gig ssd and another /dev/xxx of circa only 3 Gig it wasn't difficult to work out where i was going to install even for me !

very poor internet band width

If it's feasible, and you're interested, you can PM me with a list of ISOs and I can snail-mail you a USB thumbdrive. I'm not sure how reliable postal services are in your neck of the woods. I have *dozens* of 32 GB thumbdrives from when they go on sale at NewEgg (and when it coincides with my wine drinking and thinking that I can always use some more).

Thats very kind of you David, the Quirk of installing Arch vanilla is that on the target machine that you will be installing Arch it will need an internet connection and have to download circa 700MB during the install . So i have the iso for vanilla Arch & i can download relatively easily with patience anything iso to around 3gig using "kget" from my laptop which is running Slackware and has a modern wifi card.

The problem starts when i boot up the iso on the target machine and its wifi capacity is not great. But I now have EndeavourOS fully installed onto my wifes HP laptop which is uefi. The install was done fully offline (which is a handy option in EndeavourOS) and then its a case of minimum requirements wifi wise to update mirrors and get the odd package etc. I will be on maneuvers soon and downloading back in "blighty" when i intend to install Vanilla Arch manually .

EndeavourOS looking good next task to install "ufwf" and "gufw" firewall via pacman. update installed and working no problem

Last edited:
@mag-manoj sorry to go off topic a bit - how are you getting on ?

This is what gParted looks like for EndeavourOS which was installed on uefi laptop ; it only took circa 7 gigof space . Normally hd have partitions like /dev/sda1 etc you see the /dev/mmcblk0 thats my ssd hard drive

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-05-03_15-19-01.png
    Screenshot_2021-05-03_15-19-01.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
@mag-manoj sorry to go off topic a bit - how are you getting on ?

I've been watching you guys talking, it's been fun. I have another question, after watching your debate. Is Garuda Linux stable?

I mean, I really have only one laptop. That's where I do all my work. My day-to-day tasks depends on it. Without it, I will end up in nightmare. Shall I go ahead and install it right away or do something else?

PS:- I'm an IT student. I do a ton of programming and will install new packages on daily basis, for academic purposes. Why am I saying this is because, will Garuda be able to withstand it?

Again, thank you guys for reading this. While answering my question, please take my Postscript into account. Thanks a lot guys...!

I've been watching you guys talking, it's been fun. I have another question, after watching your debate. Is Garuda Linux stable?
I don't run Garuda but I run vanilla Arch on both my home desktop system and on my workstation which I connect to at work. I have had a package break once or twice or so and I was able to fix it, so the answer to your question is yes. The only thing is since Arch is a rolling release you will have more frequent updates and with more frequent updates comes more risk with software breaking because no programmer writes perfect code. Know how your system works in case something does break and make good backups of your system so that in the worst case scenario you can role back your system to a working system after an update breaks something.

Last edited:

Staff online