Help how to show duplicate wifi hotspots and select the one I choose?????

jeffand123

Reaction score
Credits
Ok a few years .
I wanted to either use a program that I can show duplicate xfinitywifi hotspots and select the best one that is working correctly.
When I used windows there was a tool that would list multiple duplicate xfinitywifi hotspots and let me choose which one I wanted to use.
The reason behind this I live right near shopping mall so I get great speed from xfinity
The closest hotspot usually at 92% and I get 160mbps download and 22mbps upload which is amazing
I have login not doing anything illegal but I was able to get rid of pay wifi and use sisters login to access free hotspot.
the problem is sometimes the strongest signal can have network issues and I need to connect to next hotspot ...
If I use windows I can pull it off easily but I try to use linux all the time not thrilled with windows and would rather not use it .
I know a while back using nmcli there was a way to do it but I cant find that tutorial anymore. I should have written down the tutorial and saved it
I haven't really need to do this until recently if anyone can please specify the commands with nmcli I would greatly appriciate it.
Also this is open hotspot so i dont need to enter any wpa password I just need to connect to it then can login in thru captive portal.
Thank You

nmcli con add type wifi ifname wlan0 con-name Hostspot autoconnect yes ssid Hostspot
nmcli con modify Hostspot 802-11-wireless.mode ap 802-11-wireless.band bg ipv4.method shared
nmcli con modify Hostspot wifi-sec.key-mgmt wpa-psk
nmcli con modify Hostspot wifi-sec.psk "veryveryhardpassword1234"
nmcli con up Hostspot
If after reboot nmcli con up Hotspot doesn't work
Use this command instead to start Hotspot
UUID=$(grep uuid /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Hotspot | cut -d= -f2)
nmcli con up uuid $UUID

Thank you for the fast reply I will give this a shot in the morning and provide the results

Is all you want to do - list SSIDs and connect to the strongest one?

nmcli dev wifi list

will show what is in range, and the signal strength.

Members online