Help for making persistent USB

TheCat

Reaction score
Credits
I've made portable linux distros before, specifically with Kali, Ubuntu and Mint. I'm trying to find a general purpose distro that allows me to boot it from a USB with persistence. I know you can practically do it with all of them. But for some reason, when I've made a USB bootable through Rufus and it lets me enable persistent storage and I actually boot it, it's not persistent at all. The only Distros that have worked are Mint, Ubuntu and Kali. Can anyone give me an alternative way to do this or a solution? I want to be able to use Manjaro or something similar like that.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums.
This may not be the "recognised way" what I do is use a 8gb USB pen-drive as my installation medium, and a 32 gb pen-drive as my target drive, being careful to choose the 32gb pendrive for the installation at the option of where to/how to install. But of course you will need 2 USB ports to do this

Ohhh okay. I see what you mean. I was going to do that, but I recently lost my 128GB Pen drive and instead found my long lost 16GB pen drive. Missed opportunity :/

Bah, I'll figure something out for that then. Thanks!!

and I'll make sure to keep that in mind next time, the "when asking for help" bit, I mean.

instead found my long lost 16GB
that's fine for installation, but if you want to run a full desktop version of Linux you will need 32+ [most state minimum 20gb free space], the alternative is to run one of the minimal builds Bodhi, Puppy, Antix, LXLE, possibly Peppermint or similar

that's fine for installation, but if you want to run a full desktop version of Linux you will need 32+ [most state minimum 20gb free space], the alternative is to run one of the minimal builds Bodhi, Puppy, Antix, LXLE, possibly Peppermint or similar
I'm planning on running it a 128GB USB stick, gonna buy it again because it's on sale. I've tried bionicpup and fossapup, neither of them were persistent by using Rufus, so I'll figure something out. Thanks!

Rufus hasn't been playing nicely with Linux for the last year or so, it's been very hit or miss, we tend to recommend Etcher for burning an installation USB

to make it persistent, you need to treat the target USB as a hard drive and do a full installation [and the installation ISO on a second drive]

I was going to download Etcher, but I wasn't sure if it was genuine or not.

Ah, gotcha, I'll have to do the method you suggested with the 2 storage devices. I'll take note of that, thanks!

Members online

Latest posts